Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next

Standard Disclaimer:

"Is it time yet?" asked Alyx eagerly. She stood holding a bloody cleaver and bloody bits dripped from the bloody blade in bloody splatters.

"Bloody Hell!" shrieked Bob and he back pedaled from her.

She arched an eyebrow. "You know that you're on an exercise bike and back pedaling won't get you anywhere?"

Bob blanched and fainted dead away, his eyes fixated on the dripping cleaver.

She heaved a great sigh and fought to suppress her laugh. Bob had fainted into the kitty litter box. Both Pagan and Smudge looked at him in annoyance, they so hated when Dad played in their sand boxes!

Alyx turned to the audience.

"I'm afraid we'll have to go with a improvised disclaimer for this chapter. I know that Bob had a wonderful disclaimer planned. He had several rock bands lined up, Leonard Nimoy as the guest speaker, a fireworks show and debate featuring Jesus, Moses, Buddha and Mohammad on the topic of 'Donuts, divine food or not?'"

She shook her head and admired the audacity of her husband to arrange such a fabulous disclaimer, only to faint at the last minute. "I'm afraid I'll just have to say we don't own Harry Potter at all. It all belongs to JK Rowling even if she doesn't know what to do with them."

Alyx beamed a broad smile at the audience and realized they weren't applauding her words. It was eerie.

It was silent.

You could hear crickets chirping.

Realizing her danger she knew she better do something quick. So she started tap dancing.

Slowly the audience started to applaud, although they could have been afraid of that cleaver as much as Bob was.

From his position on the floor Bob smirked in his fake faint. He hadn't been able to get the fireworks arranged in time, so he forced Alyx into giving the disclaimer. It was annoying really, the things he had to do to make her participate more!

Alyx was really quite shy.


The Power of the Press
Chapter 3

Aslton, England, August 5th 1995...

Tom dozed fitfully and dreamed strange dreams of rats and strange lights and sounds. Occasionally he'd gather his strength and rouse himself enough to attempt to impose his will on the creature he now inhabited, but most of his power was locked up, stolen away by the horcrux.

The horcruxes!

If he had a mouth he would have growled at his stupidity. He had felt the destruction of one of his soul containers and, for the first time in his existence, had felt true fear. He had tried to convince himself that the first one had been a fluke, but when he felt the destruction of the second horcrux, he'd nearly given the blasted snake a stroke. His safety net was vanishing and he was unable to stop it!

He was trapped, bound to a horcrux contained within the body of the snake. Until he could free himself again, Lord Voldemort had ceased to exist. He didn't understand it. Something had gone very wrong and his familiar had attacked him. Now he was stuck in the belly of this miserable beast and he had very little control over it. He had come to realize that his attempt to hide his immortality had, in fact, been a mistake. Now none of his minions knew where to look for him, and because he was bound, stuck in this Merlin forsaken creature, he was helpless.

When he could gather his strength, he'd shout commands into the abyss that the snake called a mind. Occasionally it would listen to him, but not often. It hadn't helped that he had railed and cursed at the snake for eating him so many months ago. Now the snake was proving to be a most uncooperative host, as it used the power of the horcruxes to prevent him from taking over.

It had taken him months to get the snake moving towards the one creature that would be able to aid him. And once it was moving, it found itself at a distinct disadvantage. A fifteen foot long snake is difficult to hide, especially when it tried to sneak aboard muggle vehicles.

He never would have dreamed of admitting it before, but now that the reality of the situation had finally been hammered home, he would admit, in the silence of his mind, that it was a mistake to make the horcruxes. There had been other methods of achieving immortality, but the horcrux held a unique appeal for him. It was only now, after the fact, that he recognized the inherent flaws in the scheme.

"GO NORTH! GO NORTH!" he thundered to the Snake's mind. Only in going north and finding the basilisk would he get the help he needed so badly.

"Go north, go north," whispered the annoying voice in the back of Nagini's mind. She pushed the voice away and concentrated on her prey. The small girl had fallen asleep in her backyard and the female adult had left her alone.

She routinely ignored the voice. It demanded and commanded, but it held no power or authority over her. She had followed the advice of the voice once, and had been taken far south. So far south that she was south of her starting point in the manor house.

It had taken months to make it back to this point and she was still making up for lost time.

She paused and tasted the air. The adult was returning! With a hissed curse, she slithered back further in the brush and hoped that dinner wouldn't be taken away from her again, otherwise she'd be forced to eat dog again and she really hated dog. The fur always made her itch.


Hogwarts, Office of the Headmistress, August 6th 1995...

Minerva glanced up at the shelf and froze. The tracking device had stopped spinning! She hadn't looked at it in over two weeks. Normally it spun slowly, emitting puffs of green smoke. Now it was still.

She scowled and remembered her conversation with Ollivander.

"What do you think. Oscar?" she asked.

"It's hard to say, Minerva. Clearly this device is operating on magic contained within the blood crystal. I'd say it's monitoring a person. You know, this reminds me of something I saw around the turn of the century. Parents would use a little blood from their babies and it would tell them if the children were alright."

Minerva nodded slowly. "So there's no dark magic involved?"

Ollivander shook his head. "Oh, no, although I do understand your concern. Albus had even fooled me. I often wonder where he went wrong and why. He didn't start out doing those things."

Minerva shrugged. "I can't really say, Oscar. To my shame, I will admit he had me fooled, and he cost us Harry Potter."

Ollivander's eyebrows rose and he nodded slowly. "He had us all fooled, my dear. Now, getting back to your strange device. Do you know whose blood this is?"

When Minerva shook her head, his expression fell slightly. "Pity. It would be interesting to know who he was interested in," he replied.

Minerva had the distinct impression that he knew exactly who it was tracking and that he knew she knew.

"You do understand the range will be limited by the magic of the student?" he asked pointedly.

Her eyes narrowed. "Yes, I understand perfectly," she replied primly.

He handed the tracker back to her. "Then I suggest you place this somewhere unobtrusive. It's implications are... disturbing."

She nodded and thanked him for his help, then she turned and left his shop. He knew who it was tracking and what that meant for their world. Fortunately, he was reliable and would keep the secret.

She walked over and examined the device. Her original observation was wrong. It was spinning, but very, very slowly, as if it weren't being powered adequately. She scowled. Mr. Potter was obviously at an extreme distance from the tracker, but it was still monitoring him.

Wherever he is, I hope he's happy, she thought. Damn Dumbledore! Lily and James are probably spinning in their graves right now, having their son forced to flee the country! If only I hadn't trusted Albus. I could have helped him.

Black and Lupin are involved somehow. I know that. I wouldn't put it past them to be working to continue the myth that he's a muggle, I just wish I knew why they were doing it.

She turned and sat back at her desk. She had just come back from a visit to the Grangers and had been surprised to find they were on vacation, again. She had wanted to talk to Hermione. The girl had been assigned as a fifth year prefect along with Mr. Longbottom.

She found it interesting to note that according to her neighbors, the Grangers had gone to the Pacific again for a vacation, although no one was exactly sure where they had gone. She also noted that the Granger's house now sported several professional grade wards that Hermione could not have cast without alerting the Ministry. An adult witch or wizard had placed these wards and they were very good at what they did.

Could Hermione be in on whatever Black and Lupin are up to? she thought, then she pulled out a sheet of parchment. Perhaps it was time to see if she still could bring some pressure to bear on Mr. Black. She had once been the only teacher he was afraid of. Maybe she could get some answers that way.


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Transmitted Entry), Sept 2nd, 1995 Hogwarts...

Dear Harry,
Well, I'm back at Hogwarts and the girls in the dorm are going absolutely nuts over my tan and your photos! It's hard getting back into the swing of things at school after spending the last three weeks exploring transfiguration and ancient runes. The structure of the classroom is a stark contrast to your tutors. I liked the atmosphere of informal discussion they created once the topic was chosen, and the fact that they let us go in any direction that struck our fancy.

I never thought I would say this, but I can see how an unstructured approach like that can help. Yes, you heard me, a little disorder didn't kill me and I've learned quite a lot using that approach.

We've had a few changes here at school. The Ministry has installed a representative here to "insure that the level of teaching is up to acceptable standards." Those are the words of Madam Delores Umbridge, who is the Minister's personal envoy here at Hogwarts. Rumor has it she's also one of the driving forces behind the movement to limit and restrict the non-human species.

She's a short, squat woman with horrible fashion sense, even by my standards. There are some other, uglier rumors floating around about her, but I'm going to withhold judgment for now.

Malfoy seems much altered. He didn't visit us on the train this year and rumor has it that his mother is selling off the remaining parts of the Malfoy estate to continue living in the manor.

Ron is being horrid! I had hoped he'd mellow a little over the summer, but he jumped on me earlier about you. I finally ended up telling him if he didn't shut up I'd give him detention. Not that I really would, that would be a misuse of my prefect authority, but he really is angry at me for having a boyfriend he doesn't know. And at this point I'm angry at him for being so narrow minded.

According to Ginny, he was horrible all through August when he learned I really wasn't coming to visit over the summer. I don't know why he wouldn't take no for an answer, but I told him that I was going to visit you during the summer. I told him that before school let out last year!

Forgetting about Ron, I'm really looking forward to this year, but a part of me is crying inside. I miss you so badly, Harry. It's nearly four long months before I'll see you again and that seems like forever now.

Something you said in the last week has been bothering me. You said, "I find it easier sometimes to write out what I want to say than to say it directly to you."

What can you possibly say in these journals that would be so difficult to say to me directly?

I miss you and wish you were here so I could hug you again.
Hermione


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Transmitted Entry), Sept 3rd 1995, Waivunu, Fiji...

Dear Hermione,
I wish you were here so I could hug you, as well. I could really use one right about now. Spending the entire summer with you only makes your absence that much more pronounced. I keep expecting you to knock on my door and poke your head in asking if I want to take a walk on the beach.

King Kong felt I had been slacking off while you were here, so this morning he woke me up for a nice 15km run with a backpack full of rocks. Thirty four kilos of them! I hate that man... no, he's not a man, he's a monster. Do you think he's related to Snape or maybe this Umbridge you wrote about?

Remus told me at dinner tonight that he and Sirius thought I should go for Lasik surgery. After talking about it, I agreed. Tomorrow we're taking a portkey to a clinic in Japan for the basic examination. If all goes well, in less than a week I might be able to put away my glasses forever.

I think I've figured out part of Ron's problem. Are you ready for this? I think he likes you, but he's unwilling to grow up past the part where boys are supposed to pick on the girls they like. I love the Weasleys, but I think Mrs. Weasley doesn't want her kids to grow up and Ron happened to get a double dose of that.

I talked to Sirius and Remus about that and both of them seemed to think that part of the problem was that both you and I had matured while Ron hadn't. That makes sense, sort of, but then what's Sirius' excuse? I mean he's old enough to be my father and some days he acts more like a teenager than I do.

Remus pulled me aside shortly after we came to Fiji and told me he thinks part of Sirius' attitude is because of his stay in prison. He doesn't want to acknowledge that time, so he is trying to recapture some of what he lost. If that is the real reason, then I'd never dream of denying him that. Growing up with the Dursleys has made me keenly aware of what it's like to miss so much of one's life.

As for myself, well, I don't consider myself mature. But I guess if I had to attribute anything to why I act the way I do, there would be two reasons. The first, of course, would be the fact that there is this prophecy that says I have to kill Voldemort. There is something maturing about the fact that a dark lord is out to kill you.

The second reason could be summed in two words. Hermione Granger. Yes, you, so stop shaking your head. Part of the reason I act the way I do is because I ask myself what would Hermione do? How would she act? I'm still a kid and I still mess around, but I want grow up to be someone you can be proud of. I want to grow up to be someone you'd want to be with.

I'll pause and wait for you to shake your head in denial, but it's the truth. And speaking of that...

I knew I'd get myself in trouble with that comment and I know if I try to squirm out of telling you, you'll bug me until I give in. It's not your fault, really. I made a comment that, in thinking back, I suppose I should have known would get me in trouble.

What can I say in these journals that will get me in trouble?

How about you looked so fantastic and pretty in that bikini, it took all my willpower and plenty of cold showers to keep my hands to myself? If your father knew some of the ideas that have crossed my mind since seeing you in that outfit, or remembering how you felt in my arms when we went dancing, he'd take his bird gun out and chase me away.

I know we agreed to go slow and I still agree with that idea. Your friendship is to important to me to want to rush things. But this is probably even more important to me than the training that King Kong puts me through. And there were ideas that would have ended up with me getting my face slapped. I'm sure of that.

I'm sorry if this embarrasses you, but it's how I feel and you did ask.

Well now you know. And I will confess, I would never tell you this face to face, at least not yet. Now I will skillfully turn the contents of this entry to something more mundane and lull you into not hating me for those comments by distracting you.

This Umbridge sounds like a nasty character. Sirius says the woman may not be a marked Death Eater, but she certainly seems to sympathize with their cause. She is one of the key people behind the anti-werewolf laws. She's already complained to Sirius about the fact that Remus is basically working for him. But Sirius told her to take a hike.

He also thinks that Scrimgeour is out to bring Hogwarts under Ministry control. Remus wants you to remember to keep your focus ring shield up. Neither of them are saying much about the situation at Hogwarts, except to say that things are getting tense in Britain. Scrimgeour seems to be trying to pull more power and authority under his control. The Wizengamot is starting to get annoyed, but they aren't ready to do anything about it yet.

That's all from here for now. Christmas is so far away right now, but we'll see each other soon enough, we just have to wait for now.

Oh! I forgot to mention. Thanks to my continuing to study during the summer months I have been told that I will be able to take the Pacific Rim NEWTS one full year early and I'll be able to take them as myself! The Pac Rim Ministry has agreed to allow it, and keep the results confidential until we're ready to go public. Had I taken them as Evan, I'd have to retake them as Harry. I don't want to do that!

After that, Remus, Sirius and I will return to Britain to find Nagini. I'll be in my Evan disguise, but once Nagini is gone, look out world because Harry Potter is back! I promise I will be there for your graduation.

All my love,
Harry


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Private Entry), Sept 3rd, 1995 Hogwarts...

Someone pinch me!

Mum was right after all! During the summer she bought me this embarrassingly skimpy bikini, and while Harry's reaction implied he liked it, he never admitted to me that. Until he wrote yesterday, that is. He admitted he needed to take cold showers? Alright, I'm not stupid. I know why he had to take them, I just never thought anyone would say that about plain old me, let alone Harry.

He's Harry Potter! He's rich! He's growing more handsome with every day and he's famous. He could have any girl he wants.

I was always sure he'd be with someone like Ginny, or Hannah Abbot, girls that are incredibly beautiful, more attractive. But he thinks I'm pretty! And this summer he introduced me to that Japanese family who had magical children our age. Suzuki is stunning, but Harry wasn't interested in her except as a friend. Eat your heart out Suzuki! He's mine!

I can't believe Mum and I almost fought over that bathing suit. Now I'm glad she talked me into wearing it! I'll have to write her and apologize.

Harry's last entry has had me walking on a cloud all day. I know he's so far away, but he said exactly what I needed to hear. It may be months before we see each other again, but I promise I'm going to kiss that boy breathless for this.

He isn't the only one to have those thoughts, especially after I saw him in that tight swim suit instead of the baggy things he likes to wear. I'm glad Sirius hid his other suits and hexed his clothes so he couldn't transfigure a new suit.

Merlin, listen to me! I'm channeling Parvati and Lavender. Alright, maybe not that bad, but close enough.

True confession time. Harry, you weren't the only one needing cold showers this past summer. Maybe someday I'll tell you that too, but not today.

Harry without glasses is going to be very difficult. One thing was abundantly clear when we were swimming in our pool. His gaze is riveting when he's not wearing his glasses. His eyes are mesmerizing with the glasses and without them I could look at them forever. And now he's going to have surgery to get rid of them? I'm in so much trouble.

Arithmancy is first thing tomorrow, I'll have to cut this short for now.


Hermione's home, Oxford, England, Sept 20th, 1995...

Emma opened the door and immediately smiled.

"Cindy! Come in. This is an unexpected surprise!" she said.

The tall brunette entered the room and smiled wanly at Emma.

"I'm glad you're home, I wasn't sure if you would be and I should have called, but... Well, I need to talk to someone who knows Sirius," she said in a breathy rush.

Emma's smile slipped a little and she motioned Cindy to follow her into the kitchen. "How about a cup of tea and we'll talk?"

Cindy nodded absently. "Do you know what Sirius does?"

"He used to be in law enforcement," answered Emma slowly. She was unsure of how much Sirius had told her. "Right now he's involved in the government, but I'm not exactly sure what he's doing. I know he's independently wealthy and he spends most of his time overseeing Harry's education."

Cindy shook her head. "It can't be much of an education then. I was talking to him about some new prints I had ordered for my office. You know I'm interested in astronomy, so I ordered some large prints from the Hubble space telescope. Sirius looked at me and smiled, nodding his head, but I could tell he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

"Later he looked at me and said, 'Outer space? I thought that was stuff they only did in moving pictures!'"

Cindy looked at Emma. "Honestly, Em, I think it's time you come clean about that man. Something is off about him and it doesn't make sense. Little common things surprise him. I've never seen him with a mobile phone, or even operate a telly. And the only place I've met him is either near my house or here. Does he even have a home?"

Emma grinned at her. "You're falling in love with him!" she accused her friend gleefully.

Cindy groaned. "I thought I was, but he's hiding something from me. After Anthony... Well, you know how I feel about dishonesty."

Emma leaned back in her chair and nodded, her expression thoughtful. "I do know. I don't suppose you'd be willing to take my word that... No, even if you were willing, it still wouldn't be right."

She paused and looked like she was making a decision, then she stood and held out a hand to Cindy. "Come on, love. I think it's time you two had a real heart to heart talk."

Cindy stood and looked confused. "Isn't he traveling this week? Do you have his phone number?"

Emma smiled mysteriously. "I have something better, and yes he is traveling, in a way. Now, no questions, just come with me," she said in her best doctor voice.

Cindy knew that tone, she used it often enough herself to follow Emma. She knew Emma wouldn't hurt her, and her friend would do what she could to help. She followed Emma, wondering exactly what her friend had in mind.

Emma led her through the door into the attached car park. Next to the half bath in the car park was an extra door that she hadn't noticed before. The door would be ordinary, except that there were literally hundreds of strange symbols painted on it in a bright silver paint. She shook her head and denied the possibility that the door seemed to glow with a light of it's own.

Emma pushed the door open and pulled Cindy into the blackness. There was a moment of disorientation that passed so quickly she wasn't sure if she had really experienced it. It took her a moment for her eyes to adjust to the darkness. A large window showed a beach with surf lapping gently against the shore.

She gasped and stood still, Oxford was no where near the ocean! Emma released her hand. "Lights," she called, igniting the gaslights in the large living room. Harry had worked with Hermione to change all of the lights and appliances in the home to be voice activated by anyone.

"Where are we?" whispered Cindy. She stared at the obviously non-electrical lights in shock.

Emma walked over to her and hugged her. "We're getting you answers, Cindy. And in the process, we're going to solve a problem that Sirius posed to me a little over a month ago. I'll be right back."

Emma left the room and Cindy sank down into a very comfortable chair. She looked out the window again, gazing upwards and suddenly leaned forward in consternation. There, above her, was a sight she had seen in some of her hobby magazines, but one she had never experienced. The southern cross.

"Bloody hell!"

She turned to see a boy standing in the doorway, looking shocked. He wore only his pajama bottoms. A light dusting of dark hair covered his chest.

"What are you doing here?"

"Who are you?" she countered.

He frowned and blinked. He wasn't in his glamor! But maybe the low lighting would let him pull it off anyway. "I'm Evan, of course."

She blinked at him in surprise, he didn't look like Evan, well maybe a little. "Aren't you supposed to be on an island in the Pacific..."

She trailed off and looked back out the window to the sky that didn't tell her exactly where she was, only that she wasn't in England anymore. She paled and her hands trembled slightly.

A moment later, Sirius entered the room. He looked like he had been rudely awakened. Emma followed, looking rather pleased with herself. He stopped and stared at Cindy who was sitting, pale faced in one of the arm chairs. She gripped the arms of her chair tightly as if to hide their shaking.

"Oh, Merlin!" he muttered, then he walked over to her.

She turned to him. "Where are we? I know this isn't England. We walked through this door at Emma's and..."

He knelt by her side and she trailed off, watching him warily.

"We need to talk, Cin. I've been meaning to have this talk with you for a while now," he said softly.

Harry moved to stand next to Emma. "This oughta be good," he said with a grin.

"Harry, hush. You're not helping matters." Sirius said.

"I thought his name was Evan?" protested Cindy.

Harry blanched and looked at Sirius in concern.

"Come on Harry, let's go put a pot of tea on," Emma said, tugging on his arm.

Harry followed her into the kitchen.

Sirius stood and moved to a chair opposite of Cindy. "I bet you're really confused now. But if you can hold your questions to the end, I'll try to fill in the blanks.

"First, you're right. You're not in England, you're now in Fiji. You stepped through a portal that we installed in Dan and Emma's house. And that was Evan, but his real name is Harry. He's my godson, not my cousin.

"Cin... you're a scientist, a doctor. You've spent a third of your life learning how to heal people using the best medicines you know of. But there's a part of life that has been hidden from you and the rest of the world. There are things in this world that your science would deny, but they exist despite that denial."

She looked at him and arched an eyebrow.

He leaned back in his chair and used his focus ring to conjure two cups of tea. Unlike Harry, Sirius had been unable to use his ring unless he treated it like a funny shaped wand. He didn't really care, it gave him an extra edge if needed, and he could still use it even if he were stuck mimicking the wand movements with his fingers.

Cindy gasped and accepted the cup he offered with shaking hands. She closely examined the cup, trying to see if she could figure out the trick.

"There is another side to life, a side that stays hidden because it's been hurt every time it's tried to make itself known. There's magic in the world Cin. Not the fake stuff like what we saw at that nightclub. I'm talking about real magic. There's a whole magical world out there that lives right next to your neat world and rarely interacts with you."

"And what? You're a magician then?" she asked in a shaky voice.

Sirius grinned. "I'm a wizard. So is Harry, and Remus. Hermione is a witch. Dan, Emma and you are what we call Muggles. That means people who have no magic of their own."

"And you used to be in law enforcement?"

He blinked at her and started to laugh. It was a mocking, bitter, laugh and she flinched at the sound.

When he finished laughing, he looked at her intently. "I was, and then I wasn't. When I was going to school I was friends with two special people. I watched them fall in love and marry. And I watched them have a baby boy. Nothing up until that point in my life seemed as important as when James placed little Harry into my arms asked me to be his godfather. He was so tiny and helpless and at the same time I could tell he was special.

"A little over a year later, my two friends were murdered by an evil wizard. When the wizard turned on Harry, something happened. No one knows exactly what happened, but Harry survived after banishing the evil wizard. Once I was sure Harry was in what I thought was safe hands, I went after the person who betrayed James and Lily to the evil wizard.

"P-Peter was our friend, one of our little group. Any one of us would have given our life for him, and still he betrayed James and Lily. I cornered him in London. He killed thirteen muggles and cut off his finger..." he paused and took a shuddering breath. "I was blamed for the incident and sent to prison for twelve years..."

Sirius looked down. Like Harry, he had incidents in his past that he couldn't talk about.

Cindy sucked in her breath and watched him. She could see the emotional turmoil his explanation had caused and was unsure of the cause. Prison couldn't be that bad, could it? she wondered.

A hand reached out and rested on Sirius' shoulder. Harry stood behind him. "Sirius was sent to prison without a hearing or trial. Wizarding prison is as close to hell on earth as you can get without dying, Cindy," he said quietly. "The only thing that kept him from going insane was the fact that he knew he was innocent. Ultimately, he escaped from prison and was later exonerated of all charges. Sirius wanted to tell you about himself. He asked Emma and Dan for their help last month because he thought that he could easily become involved with you on a more permanent basis.

"Our world is hidden from yours because we have been persecuted and burned at the stake for being different. There is a lot Sirius can tell you --- if you want to know more. But no one can know about our world except for those involved, either by being a wizard or witch, or somehow related to one like Dan and Emma.

"We're here because I'm hiding from the British Wizarding world," Harry continued softly. "The dark lord wasn't killed, only banished. Someday I will have to face him again and, hopefully, kill him this time around. In the meantime, Sirius and Remus --- it's like I have two dads. They rescued me and are helping me. They gave me something precious that's been missing from my life."

Sirius wiped at his eyes and tried to pretend Harry's words didn't move him, but he was fooling no one.

Cindy looked at Emma. "Magic is real?" she asked. Emma was the most practical and pragmatic person she knew. She found it difficult to believe that Emma would believe in something like this.

Emma nodded. "I know what you're feeling. When we found out about Hermione, we were stunned. After that, we never saw magic again for several years, until this past year that is."

"Hermione is extremely talented and a very powerful witch," Harry added with a touch of pride.

"Can...can I see some magic?" Cindy asked hesitantly. The concept was new to her, but one of the things that bothered her about science was the absolute belief that it could explain everything. She had seen enough in her day to know that sometimes the answers you looked for couldn't be measured and quantified.

Sirius nodded and his body flowed and shifted. A moment later Padfoot sat on the chair giving her a doggy grin. He hopped down and walked over to her. He nuzzled her hand and licked it. She smiled and tried to suppress a giggle, then she turned to look at Harry.

He shrugged and held up one hand. His hand suddenly burst in an aura of light and a ball of blue fire appeared, hovering over his palm. He grinned at Emma. "Hermione's favorite spell," he murmured. "She's an expert at the bluebell flames."

Emma smiled and nodded knowingly back at him, then Harry extinguished the flame. "I'm going to head back to bed. I suspect you two will be up most of the night and I have a 15km run in the morning."

Padfoot walked over to Harry and nudged him with his head. He looked down at the dog and grinned. "Behave yourself, Siri, or I'll tell Cindy about the time Remus slipped you beer while you were Padfoot and you ended up trying to hump that motorcycle of yours."

Padfoot whined and ducked his head and Emma laughed. Cindy looked startled, then she started to laugh also.

Harry waved and turned and went back to his bedroom. Sirius watched for a moment longer, then his body flowed back into his human form.

"I'm going to return home," Emma said. "Cindy, no matter what the time, use the door to return. If you need to talk, I'm here for you."

Cindy nodded absently and stood from her chair. She walked over to the window and looked out over the darkened bay.

"Cin? I wanted to tell you, I just didn't know how," Sirius said softly from behind her. His voice carried an obvious plea that tugged at her heart. Were the circumstances reversed, she was sure she'd have difficulty sharing that information also.

She nodded. "I know, Siri, but it's still a lot to take in. We come from different worlds entirely. I know nothing of your world and you know little to nothing of mine." She turned to look at him. "Is there a way to bridge the gap?"

He moved very close to her and looked into her eyes. "Honestly? I don't know. But I want there to be. I don't think I'd like the idea of you not being in my world. Harry and I told you about some of the dirtier aspects of our world, but there is so much good and pure that I'd like to show you. Magic can be wonderful."

She cupped his cheek with her hand. "And that is probably all that is needed to bridge the gap, a desire to share with someone."

He leaned down and kissed her. They had kissed before, but not like this. On all their dates they had shared little intimate moments in public, but this was the first time they were truly alone. She surprised him by deepening the kiss and leaning against him. His arms wrapped around her, holding her tightly to him.

When they finally needed air and broke apart, Cindy's gaze smoldered as she looked into his eyes. "You'll tell me all?"

He nodded. "Everything you want to know, and more."

She nodded and smiled slightly. "Which way to your room?"

He stared at her in shock for a moment. When she grinned at him, he began to chuckle. "This way," he replied, taking her hand in his and leading her towards the back of the house and his bedroom. He had not imagined it would happen like this, but he wasn't about to question his good fortune. He loved her and wanted her to be a part of his world.


Hogwarts, Sept 22th, 1995...

"Miss Granger, if I might have a word with you?"

Hermione slowed and turned around. "Headmistress?"

Minerva approached the girl and she looked around pointedly, noting the number of students in the hall. "Walk with me, Miss Granger. I know you have a free period this hour."

Hermione hesitated for a moment, then nodded and fell into step with her.

The pair walked in silence for a few minutes while the corridors emptied out. When they were finally alone Minerva began to talk.

"When I was head of Gryffindor house, every year I would have to inspect the tower at least once a month looking for contraband material. Mostly, I'd find Fire whiskey in some boy's trunk, or a proscribed love potion in a girls dorm.

"Last year, when I ascended to the role of headmistress, no one was available to perform such an inspection of Gryffindor. As such, I decided to do that myself this year since Professor Lawton said she'd be too busy."

Hermione nodded uncertainly. She was sure she didn't have any contraband items.

"Tell me, Miss Granger, are you aware of the nature of the journal you possess?"

"Yes, Headmistress, I'm aware of what it does," she replied. She had researched the journals and knew there was no dark magic associated with them. She hadn't found out much, but basic testing told her it was mostly light magic charms.

Minerva nodded silently. "Do you know that, traditionally, such journals were reserved for husbands and wives who were going to be separate for long intervals? As such, while there is no dangerous magic attached to them, they do tend to make the writer be more truthful than they ordinarily would?"

"I was aware of that, Headmistress, although the person on the other end might not be. I have refrained from asking any questions which might lead to embarrassing situations. The journals were a gift from a close friend who wanted to ensure that I and my pen pal would be able to easily remain in contact."

A dark thought occurred to her and she felt a surge of panic. "Are you telling me that you intend to confiscate the book?" Hermione asked suddenly.

Minerva smiled slightly and shook her head. "No. I was young once, too, after all. Perhaps if I had a book like that, my young man would not have gotten away."

Hermione blinked in shock and nodded numbly. That was a revelation!

They walked for a while longer in silence.

"Do you love him, Hermione?"

She looked down at the floor as she walked, her face flaming. "Yes, Ma'am, I think I do."

Minerva nodded to herself. "And does he love you?"

Hermione paused. "He hasn't said so in words yet, but I think he knew how he felt even before I did."

"Ah, yes. The so-called Potter curse, or blessing, depending on who you talk to," Minerva murmured in agreement.

Hermione stopped short. "Headmistress, I never said..."

"Come now, Miss Granger. Do you take me for a complete fool?" Minerva countered gently. "After Mr. Potter left last year you were in a terrible state and your grades were slipping. You even went home, skipping the first Yule Ball this school has had in fifty years. When you returned, you were back to your happy self and your grades rose once more. Rumors had you falling in love with some boy you met on an island, but I doubt you'd give your heart so easily, unless it was to someone you already knew intimately."

Hermione blushed and she looked alarmed.

"I didn't mean intimately in that manner, Miss Granger," Minerva said somewhat frostily. "I meant you knew the person very well. Perhaps he was someone that had been taken away from you? And now he's back and, I'd guess, mostly unaffected by the little drama that played out in our Great Hall last year."

Hermione looked down, refusing to meet her gaze and Minerva sighed. The loyalty the Potters invoked astounded her! It had always been this way. It was no wonder the Potter line was the only surviving branch of Gryffindor's remaining even if they were a cadet branch.

They continued walking for a bit, until Minerva stopped in front of the entrance to her office.

"Of all the things I regret in my life, Miss Granger, what happened to Harry Potter was one of the biggest. I had a role to play in his life and I could have had more, but I wanted to maintain my position as head of house and his professor. As such, there were certain lines I could not cross and maintain those roles.

"I wish he were still in school here and someday I hope I'll be able to apologize to him in person. But if you are able to bring any measure of happiness to him and he to you, then seize that happiness. It can be a very fleeting thing. Rest assured your secret, and his, is safe with me."

Hermione nodded silently. McGonagall was basically saying she knew Harry was still around somewhere and still magical.

Minerva turned to give the password to the gargoyle, then she paused and turned to Hermione again.

"One final thing, Miss Granger. Have you had any training in Occlumency?"

"Only the basics, Headmistress. I am able to enter the trance and work on my shields but I cannot yet maintain a steady shield full time."

Minerva nodded, then she leaned a little closer. "Contact your friend and arrange a time when you can both enter the trance. Before you do, place a drop of your blood in the center of the pentagram on the cover and make sure you enter the trance while holding the book."

Minerva pulled away and smiled thinly. "That will be all, Miss Granger."

Hermione nodded and thanked her before hurrying away. She had given her a lot to think about.


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Transmitted Entry), Sept 22nd, 1995 Hogwarts...

Harry!
Professor McGonagall knows about you! I'm sure of it! She stopped me in the hall today and we spoke for a while. She knew about these books and what they do and somehow she knew you still have your magic! What are we going to do?

I nearly died of fright. For a moment I thought she was going to confiscate my journal. She gave me a little more background information on them, and asked me some rather frank questions.

I think she really regrets what happened to you, Harry. Promise me that when you come to see me graduate, you'll speak with her. I know she's always seemed distant and cold, but I think she's really sort of lonely. There is so much about her that I admire, and some that scares me. She's in her seventies and from what I've learned, never married.

Maybe she never met her Harry Potter, or maybe she did and made a wrong decision and let him go. How does that old saying go? There but for the grace of god go I? I can see myself falling into her lifestyle and probably would have if I hadn't met you.

I know this is a short message, but talk to Sirius. We need to know what to do about it.

Love,
Hermione


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Transmitted Entry), Sept 23nd, 1995 Waivunu, Fiji...

Hermione,
I'll speak to Sirius, if he ever comes out of the bedroom. In case you haven't heard, your Mum showed up here a few days ago. She dragged Cindy Adams here! Sirius and I spoke to her for a bit with your Mum helping and we introduced her to the idea of magic.

That was three days ago and THEY HAVEN'T COME OUT OF THE BEDROOM YET!!!

I've had to applied the silencing charm twice a day for the last three days. I swear when Paddy comes out of that room I'm taking him to the Vet to be fixed! I mean really, I'm fifteen bloody years old and I don't need to be hearing that sort of thing. I have enough problems with my own mind mucking about with me. I don't need Siri and Cindy going at it like industrial bunnies.

McGonagall strikes me as one who will keep the secret, but if I can't get Sirius to listen I'll send a message to Remus. He's back in England, trying to track down Ravenclaw's brooch.

What kind of things did she tell you about our journals? And what questions did she ask?

I learned a really scary dueling tactic today. Something called Snap Conjuring. My instructor was so pleased about the fact that I've been able to tie my shield to my core and keep it going all the time, he started me on something new. Basically, the idea is in the middle of a duel to conjure a twenty kilo rock in a second or less, over the head of your opponent.

So far it's taking me ten seconds to conjure something that big.

Classes are proceeding. Eton thinks I'll be done with Occlumency and have it mastered to the practitioner level by Christmas or sooner. After that, he'll start on legilimency and leave me to continue occlumency on my own.

I know this is your OWL year, so I'll understand if you don't reply right away. I'm in the same boat here, the only real difference between my OWLs and yours are that the Pacific Rim OWLs are more practical oriented than the British tests.

I'll talk to Sirius as soon as he comes out and let you know what he says. In the meantime, stay well Hermione. I miss you a lot.

Love,
Harry


The Three Broomsticks, Hogsmeade, Sept 30th, 1995...

"Mr. Lupon?" asked a voice.

Remus looked up from the notebook he was examining. "It's L U P I N, and do I know you?" he asked warily. The young woman had shockingly pink hair, and the red caped uniform of the Auror Corps. As a werewolf, he had learned to be instinctively wary of Ministry aurors.

"May I?" she asked, pointing to a seat.

"Please," he replied, pointing to the chair.

She slid into chair and looked apologetically at him. "I'm sorry to bother you, but I've been told that you might be able to help me. You see, I'm trying to track down Sirius Black."

Remus frowned. "What would an auror be doing looking for Sirius? He's not in any trouble, is he?"

"Auror? Oh, the uniform!" exclaimed the woman. "I'm sorry, I'm off duty. My name is Tonks. Well, that's my last name. I'm not going to tell you my first name, otherwise I'd have to kill you, then go find and kill my parents for giving me that name. Actually, I'm trying to find Sirius Black for my mother. They're cousins, you see. My Mum was disowned by the Black family, until Sirius assumed the head role last year, then he reinstated her and acknowledged me.

"My mum wants to thank him, but the only place we know to contact him is the Wizengamot office and he's not answering mail sent there." She blinked at him, then waited expectantly.

He sighed and closed the notebook, then folded the map he had open under the book. "I will inform him that his cousins are looking to speak with him, Ms. Tonks. I should warn you that it may still be some weeks until I see him, as he is out of the country at the moment. And I hope you'll forgive my being suspicious, but Sirius is wary of the Auror Corps, despite having once been a member of that organization."

Tonks reached over and swiped a chip from his plate and ate it. "Can't say I blame him, what with him being put in prison for something he didn't do without even having a trial? Mum just wants to thank him, and I think she also wants to whack him on the head for the trust fund he opened for her. If it's as big as the one he opened for me, it's a considerable sum of money.

"For my part, when I graduated during the summer, it came in mighty handy. I was able to buy that dragon hide armor for the job. Without the trust, I'd be stuck with the standard issue leather," she said happily.

"So you don't want to whack him on the head also?" Remus asked in obvious amusement.

"Merlin, no! But I would like to meet him again. I have very vague memories of him from when I was little. My dad has a small family, all muggles, so Sirius is the only magical relative I know about that I would want to talk to," she replied.

He nodded at that. As far as he knew, other than Andromeda Tonks, Sirius' other relatives were less than reputable. The only other exception were the Weasleys and Potters and they were a very distant relation.

"I will contact Sirius and pass the word along, Ms. Tonks. What I can't do is force him to contact you."

She nodded and handed him a card with floo addresses on it. "Here, that's for Mum and me." When he took the card, she stood up. "Thank you, Mr. Lupin. I appreciate your time."

She smiled once again and her hair turned a buttery yellow, then she turned and walked away.

Bemused, he turned back to the notebook he was reading. He spread the map out and made some notations on a piece of parchment. Ravenclaw's brooch was the last piece of the puzzle and he had tracked it down to a collector in Lancaster. That lead, however, was over a hundred years old. Finding out where it went from there was turning out to be a proverbial needle in a haystack.

"Well, here's a surprise. One of my former students, sitting in a public pub and up to their eyebrows in studying? What could Remus Lupin find so fascinating?"

He sighed and rolled up the parchment. "Minerva," he said. "What a pleasant surprise! Won't you join me?"

He knew he ran the risk of running into her in Hogsmeade, but he had to come here to follow up on a lead for the brooch.

Minerva sat down and looked at him with a stern gaze. He gazed back, not the least intimidated by her look. Having once been a fellow professor, he had lost most of his wariness of her during Harry's third year.

"Congratulations on your promotion, Minerva. Can I order you something? Some tea, perhaps?" he offered, knowing it would annoy her.

She leaned back and frowned at him. "I don't know what you and Black are up to, but I can't say I like it."

Remus scowled and picked up his wand. With a deft flick, he put them in a privacy bubble.

"I'm afraid that I haven't any idea of what you're talking about Minerva," he replied mildly. "And if I did, I suspect this would hardly be the place to discuss it."

Noting her frown, he leaned forward. "Really Minerva. If you would take a moment to think on it, you'd understand why things are happening the way they are."

Her eyes widened. "So the prophecy is still valid?"

"Valid enough. The shame of it is, this is all so futile. Dumbledore knew before Harry was born what Voldemort had done, and he did nothing to prevent it. James and Lily died senseless deaths," Remus said with a touch of anger.

Minerva nodded to herself. She had surmised as much. "Well, tell Mr. Black I'm rather put out with his avoiding me."

Remus smiled. "You would be surprised at how many people are telling me that today."


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Private Entry), Oct 1st 1995, Hogwarts...

One month down, one and a half to go before I can see Harry again.

I am beginning to understand what Professor McGonagall meant in regard to these journals. I had to explain to Harry that these journals would make us be more open and honest with each other. I had no choice, really. He asked me a couple questions in his last entry and I felt like I had to answer them.

I knew I really didn't have to answer them. I knew I wasn't being forced, but he wanted to know what I replied to Professor McGonagall when she asked if I loved him. Now I know how embarrassed he felt when he told me what he would be afraid to say directly to my face.

His reply was swift and unexpected. He said we needed to be a little more careful what we ask each other, but on the whole, he thought it was good thing. He didn't seem surprised when I said I love him and he said he was sure he loved me as well. Then he said he didn't have much experience with it but he knew he wanted to be with me! Then he did something he's never done before, he admitted he was scared by what he felt for me. All of his life he's had so few who really cared about him and now that's changed and it frightens him.

For myself, I am very happy to know he feels the same way, but I would really like to hear it in his own voice.

It doesn't help that the girls of the dorm are circulating a book called 'How to keep and please your Wizard.' Like I don't have enough of those thoughts running through my head when I'm not studying?

We've agreed to limit the questions we ask each other for now. But in a way, we're becoming more open to each other. Harry spoke to Sirius, who admitted he was aware that the books would encourage us to be honest and open. Harry told me that he thought Sirius was trying to help, in his own prankster sort of way.

I was surprised that Harry wasn't mad at Sirius, but I think in this case he isn't because the books helped us express things that neither of us would have said to each other.

I can't be angry with Sirius either. He rescued Harry from Dumbledore and whatever he was planning. And he has gone out of his way to help Harry and I stay in contact. It would have been so easy to lose each other when he left last year.

Remus told me privately that it was Sirius who convinced Harry to write that first letter to my parents, inviting us to visit with them.

I haven't told him about Professor McGonagall's suggestion yet, but I did tell him I knew more about the journals and wanted to wait a bit before we tried them. He didn't have a problem with that. I just hope I'm worthy of the trust he's showing in me.

Harry told me that Sirius is aware of McGonagall's knowledge and I hate to say this, but they are watching her closely. Sirius isn't planning on doing anything unless it looks like the Headmistress is trying to cause problems.

Harry says that Remus sent Sirius a note concerning a meeting he had with McGonagall and that she may come and visit with all of us sometime next summer.

I had another run in with Lavender today. She is annoyed because of the photos I keep of Evan on my night table. She wanted to know what I could possibly do to keep such a hot boyfriend.

I just smiled and said I had the right sort of magic. Lavender's eyes nearly popped out of her head and she walked away muttering to herself. I can't help thinking that this might have been a quick victory, but that the war isn't over.

The Ministry representative had Lee Jordan in detention for the third time this week. The Weasley twins finally came to me, asking what they could do to help him. Apparently, she's using some sort of cursed quill that's carving his lines into the back of his hand.

Fortunately, I had a fresh jar of essence of Murtlap that they could use.

I've a charms test tomorrow, so I better end this now.


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Private Entry), Oct 20th 1995, Waivunu, Fiji...

It's official. I'm done with Occlumency and have finally started on Legilimency. According to Eton, there are two distinct types and he intends to teach me both. Directed Legilimency requires a wand or focus ring to send a strong probe against a mind. Then there is the passive form, in which the practitioner can skim surface thoughts from unprotected minds.

Eton thinks Dumbledore's eye twinkling was probably passive Legilimency. Apparently, every practitioner of the art has a "tell" which indicates what they're doing. Thinking back on it, I believe I've run across two such people, Dumbledore and Snape. Dumbledore twinkled, Snape glared.

Sirius and Cindy still aren't using silencing charms. I finally got annoyed and recorded them using a recording charm, then played it back during breakfast. Needless to say, Sirius didn't find it nearly as funny as Remus and I. In fact, I never knew Sirius could run that fast. He wouldn't have caught me either, except he summoned a wave that knocked me to my knees.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of this white hair and these damn blue spots.

Damn you flea bitten dog. I'll get you yet!


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Transmitted Entry), Oct 31st 1995, Waivunu, Fiji...

Dear Hermione,
This is going to be a different kind of entry, only because of the day. It's Halloween here and I've been afraid of this day since I learned the truth about the death of my parents. Since I reentered the Wizarding world, something bad has always happened on Halloween.

It's hard to categorize Halloween in my mind. To the rest of the Wizarding world, it's a holiday. To wizards in Britain, it's not only a holiday, it's also the day I vanquished Voldemort. To me, it's a depressing reminder of a horrible day when my life changed forever.

I find myself wondering about my parents. Sirius and Remus can tell me what kind of people they were, but those memories are blurred by time and their own impressions. What kind of woman would my Mum be if she were alive today? Would she be like Molly Weasley or more like your Mum, or somewhere in-between? Or would she be like my Aunt Petunia? (Shuddering and praying that isn't the case.)

I hate this day. Even with Sirius, Cindy and Remus here, I feel alone. It's not helping that both Sirius and Remus feel their loss even more keenly than I do. They knew my parents. To them, they were living people with hopes and dreams and laughter. They have each other and Cindy to ease things for them. To me, my parents are silent photos and stories, or the rare dementor induced nightmare.

The one person who could help with how I feel isn't here and I won't see her for another month and a half. You've filled a hole in my life, Hermione, and I don't know how to thank you, or deal with it when you're not here. For you and I, Halloween marks a special day. The one good Halloween (if you can call fighting a mountain troll a good day) was where our friendship finally began.

I'm sorry, Hermione. I hate unloading on you like this, but after diner tonight I went into my room and thought about the holiday. Suddenly I felt so alone, there was this huge aching hurt in my chest and I just didn't know who to talk to. I almost took the door to your house, then I would have apparated the rest of the way.

I'm sure that by tomorrow I'll be able to laugh this off and greatly regret sending this entry to you. I wish there was a spell to fix how I feel, but there isn't.

I'm know this entry is a disappointment to you and I'm sorry for that. I'll do better next time. For now, I think I'll end this and go to sleep. That will get this day over even quicker.

Love,
Harry


Daily Prophet Article, October 31st, 1995...

Ministry Marks End of Reign of Terror.

In a solemn ceremony, Rufus Scrimgeour gave a short speech in the Ministry atrium, then called for three minutes of silence in respect for all those who died in the war against You-Know-Who.

It has been exactly one year ago today that Harry Potter sacrificed his magic. In doing so, he uncovered the despicable acts of Albus Dumbledore and forever removed the possibility of the Dark Lord from returning to life.

Invoking a magical singularity, Potter, then age 14, refused to partake in a binding magical contract. His refusal set in motion the loss of magic for himself and the dark lord, wherever he was hiding. It also brought to life the near criminal acts perpetrated by Albus Dumbledore on Harry Potter and twenty nine other orphans.

Investigations following Potter's refusal to enter the Triwizard tournament resulted in the fall of the Fudge administration, which lead to the arrest of twenty members of the Wizengamot, as well as other prominent members of wizarding society.

Mr. Potter dropped out of sight after he left Hogwarts and efforts to locate him have failed. It is rumored that Sirius Black is aware of his whereabouts, but Mr. Black is unwilling to tell what he knows. He asks that Harry be given the privacy he craves.

Minister Scrimgeour said that Mr. Potter's sacrifice was of the highest order of bravery and had he not turned himself into a muggle, he would surely be up for an Order of Merlin, forth class.

Full Coverage of Minister Scrimgeour's remarks. Page 2.
Harry Potter, a savior lost. Page 3.
You-Know-Who, muggle dark lord? Is that possible? Page 4.


Quibbler Headline Article, Oct 31st 1995...

Harry Potter Saves Mother Cat and Kittens from Burning Building!

As part of our ongoing investigation to locate Harry Potter we learned recently that he was spotted in San Francisco, USA. Apparently, a muggle high-rise was on fire and hundreds of people were trapped. Potter, age 15, appeared, hanging upside from a helicopter, which is no relation to the dreaded heliopaths the Ministry is training. The helicopter hovered over the building and Potter swung back and forth on his rope until he was able to swing into an open window.

From there, he collected the family of cats, which also aren't related to heliopaths, then he leaped from the window in his patented bat suit. He handed the mother cat and the four frightfully fried felines to the firemen. When asked why he didn't save the family of four who lived in the same apartment, he replied, "What's a family of people living in a place like that? Obviously they weren't real people and my duty was clear. I had to save the feisty felines from a fiery furnace."

And with that, our fantastic hero twirled his cape and swooped away, confirming his expertise in swooping.

We at the Quibbler will continue to bring you the exploits of Harry Potter and his swooping bat costume as we learn about them.

Correction: Due to the Publisher's daughter playing with a time turner, the answers to next week's crossword puzzle was accidentally published last week. We apologize for the inconvenience. In order to correct the mistake, we intend to rerun last weeks crossword next week with answers for a puzzle from yesterday.


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Transmitted Entry), Nov 1st 1995, Hogwarts...

Dear Harry,
Your last entry came as a complete surprise and it brought me to tears. I could feel your pain and I wanted nothing more than to be able to hold you and tell you it would be alright. As much as I want to do that, I can't, not until the holidays. But I promise you I will be doing that. You and I need some serious private time together.

Just when I think I have you completely figured out you surprise me and show another side that I didn't know existed. I always thought you were so sure of yourself, so confident.

What you need to understand is that we all doubt ourselves, Harry, and there is no shame in doing so. That you were willing to share your feelings like that made me feel privileged.

I think your parents would be very proud of you. I know I am. I told you this once before, but you're a great wizard. And you've been working to that end since last October.

We won't always be apart, Harry. I just hope that there will come a day when we're together and you'll still feel able to talk to me like you did in your last entry. Yes, it hurt to know you were hurting and I wasn't able to be there to help. But it also made me feel good that you trusted me enough to tell me that. Before last year, you always hid your feelings. I will do my best to be worthy of that trust, I promise you that.

We'll be together soon and we'll have some time then.

In the meantime, school continues unabated, but some things are changing. That Ministry woman, Umbridge, fired Trelawney and she tried to fire Hagrid. Lee Jordan was hurt in one of her detentions and several of us are trying to convince him to go to McGonagall about it.

She's been issuing edicts that everyone has been ignoring and I won't even go into the pranks that have been played on her. Slytherin house is falling into her tripe about pure blood superiority lock stock and barrel. Not much of a surprise there, really.

In other news, Ron and Malfoy tangled in the Great Hall and for once it was mostly Ron's fault. He needs to learn to control his temper. His spell missed, thank Merlin, but it punched a three inch hole in the wall! McGonagall was livid. Malfoy's spell was bad enough, but it wasn't potentially lethal, like Ron's was.

The Weasley's were here trying to decide what was to be done. Ron's been warned. One more infraction like that one and he will be expelled. Since then, he's been really subdued and not speaking much. I'd feel sorry for him, but this time he really blew it. Sure, Malfoy said some rude things about Ginny, but he shouldn't have used that spell.

And speaking of Weasleys, Ginny is in danger developing a bit of a reputation. I'm not normally one to spread rumors, but I saw her coming out of a broom closet with Neville and her blouse was buttoned wrong. I'm not saying that she was doing anything wrong because I honestly don't know. But I need to talk to her about being more discreet.

How is your legilimency going? And what's this about apparating? Have you been taught how? I can't wait for us to learn, but that won't come until next year.

I mentioned your Snap Conjuring to our DADA teacher. He's an old Auror named Archibald Bunca, from Germany. His reaction surprised me greatly. He told me that the European Ministries frown on that technique in dueling because there is no counter, except to dodge. He told me to warn you to be wary of the technique, as some governments will prosecute you for using it.

Lavender is causing me some problems of late. For some reason she seemed to be extremely irritated over the idea that 'Evan' could be my boyfriend. So far it's just an annoyance, but she's beginning to get on my nerves with her innuendos.

My Mum tells me that Cindy has told her she's thinking of requesting a sabbatical from work. Mum is so smug. First us, now Sirius and Cindy. Honestly, I don't know how she can take any credit for us being together. I think that was our doing, and if I'm honest with myself, mostly your doing, Harry. I've seen you do many things and followed you into crazy situations, but this is one decision you made that I approve of wholeheartedly.

Anyway, Cindy is hoping to get some time off so she can spend more time with Sirius. I'm very jealous of her! On the other hand, the Christmas holiday is coming up and we'll be together then.

OOPS! Ginny's here and wants to talk. I'll get back to you later.

Love,
Hermione.


Waivunu, Fiji (Dec 15th 1995)...

Remus looked up and smiled, seeing Sirius and Cindy walk into the large kitchen area. He had tea and breakfast waiting for them. Back in England, Sirius relied on a house elf named Dobby to cook and clean his old family home, but here in Fiji, they did without his help. Sirius had to explain patiently to the little elf that the Pacific Rim Ministry considered house elf bondage to be slavery and would arrest anyone who had an elf.

That Dobby was a paid elf who wanted to bond with Harry was another issue. The simple fact was, they didn't want to risk arrest, even if they would eventually be cleared once Dobby explained his position with them.

"Good morning," Remus said, pouring two more cups of tea.

Cindy smiled dreamily and moved toward the tea on autopilot. Sirius had explained to her about Moony's condition and she had taken several blood samples to see if she could isolate the Lycanthropy pathogen. She had been looking at wizarding medicine and wondering if there were ways of adapting parts of it to muggle medicine without violating the law. It helped that she greatly enjoyed biochemistry in college and had learned how to isolate out the biologically active compounds from natural compounds.

"G'morning," she mumbled, then she sipped her tea and sighed in contentment.

Sirius mumbled something that didn't even sound close to a greeting and Remus snorted in amusement.

"Where's Harry?" asked Cindy. Normally Harry would be back from his morning run and having breakfast with them by now.

Remus frowned. "I'm not sure. I got up and put breakfast on before going through the owl post. Oh, that reminds me. We got a message from Samatha in the States, Sirius. She says that they've broken the protections on the ring and are waiting for either you or I to come witness it's destruction."

Sirius grunted, letting Moony know he'd heard.

Cindy shivered. "Evil things. I feel uncomfortable just thinking about them."

The group fell silent as they ate.

It was Cindy who broke the silence sometime later. "I'm starting to get a little worried about Harry. He's been working himself extremely hard and has seemed...I don't know, not himself, for the last few days."

Remus paused with a fork halfway to his mouth and scowled for a moment. "Yes, I thought that myself lately. But then, growing up is never easy."

Sirius shook his head. "He may be growing up, but he's growing up for the wrong reasons, Moony. He's still only a kid. He never flies his broom anymore, or uses that surfboard.

"Something has happened. He's been very serious and driven since last month," Sirius concluded. He was worried about Harry, but every time he asked, the young man's reply was always the same; he was fine and there was nothing to worry about.

"I think we need to make him..." Remus trailed off into silence.

Harry stood in the doorway shivering, his pajamas soaked in sweat and sticking to him. Cindy immediately went to his side. She felt his forehead, then his pulse.

"Don't feel good," he mumbled. There were dark circles under his eyes and his body shook with chills almost continuously.

"Sirius, get my medical kit," Cindy snapped. "Remus, help me get him back into bed."

Harry staggered and Remus jumped to his feet, catching him. He turned and lifted him easily in his arms, then walked down the corridor to his bedroom. Entering the room, he paused, seeing the condition of the bed. "Cindy, hold him upright. I need to change out his bedding; it's soaked clear through."

He stood Harry up and Cindy held him. Remus pulled out his wand and vanished the soggy bedding, then he conjured new sheets and blankets, which flew to the bed. He added a charm on the bedding to absorb Harry's sweat without soaking the mattress.

Remus took Harry and placed him in the bed, then he vanished his pajamas and replaced them with fresh ones.

"You have career possibilities as a nurse's aid, Remus," Cindy said softly.

Sirius rushed in and handed Cindy her medical kit. She pulled out her stethoscope and an electronic thermometer.

"No magic while I use this," she cautioned. She had learned that as long as the electronics didn't come in contact with an active magical field they'd work fine.

She placed the device against his ear and waited. A few seconds later it beeped and she examined the reading with a frown. "That can't be right. He's burning up, but he's registering as normal."

The two men exchanged a glance. "I'll call for the village healer," Sirius said, then turned and bolted from the room.

Remus conjured a cool damp cloth and laid it over Harry's forehead.

"Remus? What's wrong?" Cindy asked, confused.

"It's a magical illness, Cindy. We normally don't get many muggle diseases, but one of the signatures of a magical illness is a high fever that doesn't register on muggle instruments. Sirius is going to floo the village healer. She'll make the determination if he needs to go to hospital or if he can be treated here."

Harry groaned on the bed and a faint aura appeared around his body then faded away again.

At a loss, Cindy sat at the chair next to Harry's desk and watched in silence. She was a trained doctor, a specialist in internal medicine, and here was a situation where she was of no help at all.

Sirius returned a few minutes later, followed by a middle aged woman. "Cindy, this is Madam Salote, the Waivunu healer," Sirius explained

"You a mundane doctor?" asked the woman.

Cindy nodded. "Yes. I'm an internist, actually. But none of my instruments can help him," she said, gesturing to Harry.

Madam Salote nodded and sniffed loudly, then she ran a hand about four inches over Harry, muttering under her breath.

An image formed over Harry. It was brightly colored in sections and pulsed. There was a ticking sound in time with the pulsations.

Cindy moved in for a closer view and Madam Salote glanced up at her. She pointed to one section of the image with several hovering shapes colored bright pink. "These represent his physical condition. Heart, lungs, liver and so on. It's all good. Now this," she said pointing to another section. "This is his energy levels, which are very low. He's exhausted and has managed to contract a bad case of island fever because of it."

She straightened and reached into a pouch. "He'll be sick for at least a week. Except for going to the bathroom, he must rest. I'll leave you something for the pain and fever. When the fever breaks, he'll be weak physically and magically, but he should be able to move around. No magic for at least ten days! He needs to rest. I'll be back to look in on him tomorrow."

She pulled out several bottles of potions and handed them to Cindy. "Blue is for pain. Four drops, four times a day. The green bottle is for fever, three drops morning and night. Pain potion will make him sleep most of the time. Call me if he gets worse."

Cindy nodded numbly, staring at the little bottles in her hands. The scientist in her screamed about the unsealed, unsanitary conditions of the bottles, but this was a magical illness.

Madam Salote nodded to Sirius and Remus and breezed from the room. She'd been the healer who had sent Harry to the big hospital in Wellington, New Zealand when he'd had that potions accident. She suspected that something wasn't quite right here among these foreign wizards, but the boy seemed healthy and happy. Most of the small community of wizards and witches in Waivunu suspected the same thing when Sirius dropped his alias in favor of his real name. Sirius Black was a known name, even in the Pacific Rim.

"Why did she give me the potions? She knows I'm a muggle," protested Cindy.

Remus snickered and she caught something that sounded suspiciously like, "Village life".

Cindy looked at Sirius, her eyes narrowing. "What does he mean?"

Sirius shrugged his shoulders. "It's no secret we care about each other, Cin. Most of the Fiji wizard families are matriarchal in nature. She figured that you were assuming the role of Harry's mum. They already consider me his father."

She leaned back against the headboard of the bed and eyed him carefully. She didn't mind helping Harry. After all, she was a doctor and taking care of sick people was what she did. But what about Sirius? In the month she'd been shuttling between England and Fiji, she'd gotten more involved and more serious about their relationship. She had been badly burned once by Anthony and had sworn off men after that. But Sirius was different, wasn't he?

"We're going to talk about this later," she declared, then she stood and looked down at Harry. "I'm not sure if someone should be here with him all the time..."

"Let me, Cindy," Remus said, then he waved his wand. Like Sirius, he had a focus ring, but he was too used to his wand. Some habits were hard to break.

"That's a simple charm to warn us if he's in trouble. Someone should probably check him every few hours, but the charm will warn us if there are any problems," Remus said.

She nodded and placed the potion bottles out of Harry's reach on the dresser.


Waivunu, Fiji (Dec 20th 1995)...

"He's going to be alright, isn't he?" asked Hermione anxiously. Her hands twisted in her lap and she looked at Cindy worriedly.

She'd arrived in Fiji early. The Grangers were supposed to arrive on the 23rd, but when Hermione heard Harry was ill she had wanted to leave immediately. Dan and Emma had let her go once they had gotten a promise from her that she'd return on the 22nd for the annual family Christmas party.

"He'll be fine, Hermione," Cindy reassured. "He worked himself to a point where he got sick, but he's recovering. The fever broke two days ago. He's still partially bed ridden and he's not allowed to do any magic for five more days, but he's well and getting better."

"Hermione," Sirius said softly. "Do you know what brought this on? Last month he started working like a demon, running and studying nearly every minute of the day."

"Halloween," she whispered in reply.

"Halloween?" Cindy asked in confusion.

Sirius and Remus shared an anguished look.

"We forgot," Remus said, wiping his face tiredly. Suddenly both marauders knew that they had overlooked something very important.

"I don't understand," Cindy complained.

"It was Halloween. In the wizarding world, it's a major holiday, almost as important as the winter solstice or Christmas. But it's also the night that his parents were killed."

"Harry wrote me in the journal that night. He was depressed and unhappy. He hates Halloween. He hates the fact that Britain celebrates the first fall of Voldemort and what was the worst day of his life," Hermione said softly, then she shivered. It was hard to even imagine having a nation celebrate the death of your parents.

"They celebrate that?" Cindy exclaimed.

Sirius nodded unhappily. "They do. They even have school plays about him banishing the dark lord. His parents are painted as some kind of martyrs."

"We forgot about it entirely," Remus said bitterly. "You and I got tipsy and we hung out with Cindy, but I remember Harry excusing himself early."

"He said he felt especially alone that night," Hermione added, then she stood. "I'm going in to talk with him."

The adults nodded and watched her leave the room before turning to look at each other. "We really blew it, Paddy," Remus said.

"We'll make it up to him, Moony. Now that we know, we'll make sure he's not alone on Halloween."

"I think the best medicine for what ails him just entered his room," murmured Cindy.

Sirius grinned at that. Cindy might not be a witch, but she was intelligent and very good at reading people.

Harry woke to the sensation of someone running their hand through his hair. He could feel someone lying in the bed next to him and he smelled the sweet scent of lilac and apple blossoms.

"Hermione?" he whispered sleepily.

She smiled and looked inordinately pleased that he could tell it was her. "How did you know?"

"Your shampoo, you're the only person I know whose hair smells of lilac and apple blossoms."

She nodded and her expression turned serious. "You frightened me, you know. I work hard, but never to the point of getting sick."

He grinned at her.

"What?" she asked, annoyed at his reaction.

"Time Turner."

She blinked and realized he had her there. She was about to reply when he pulled her into a tight hug.

"I missed you so much," he said softly against her ear.

Tears sprang to her eyes and she tightened her grip on him. "It will be alright, Harry. Things will get better."

He slowly released her and moved back enough to stare into her eyes. For the first time she noticed he wasn't wearing his glasses. His eyes were bright and clear and filled with a green that seemed to go on forever. It was mesmerizing!

He reached up and cupped her cheek. "The last month has been really bad. That's why I haven't written much. I didn't want to keep dumping on you, and it seemed that no matter what I did, I was in a hole I couldn't climb out of."

"Harry, you can always talk to me, you know that."

He nodded and his own eyes moistened with tears. "I know."

She hugged him again and kiss his forehead. "Let's get you out of bed. I talked to Sirius and Remus about why you felt the way you did. They understand now."

He winced at that, but nodded. As much as he didn't want to talk about Halloween, he really couldn't be mad at her. She was scared for him and that was something he was still getting used to.

She rolled off the bed and picked up his robe from the back of a chair. He sat up and swung his legs off the bed, then stood unsteadily. She reached out, steadying him, and he smiled weakly at her. Then she handed him his robe and watched him carefully as he put it on.

She followed him as he walked unsteadily towards the living room. As soon as he appeared, Sirius and Remus jumped to their feet and rushed to help him. He held up a hand, stopping them both.

"I'm sorry. I guess I should have said something, but I didn't want to trouble you with my problems."

Sirius scowled and Hermione muttered darkly about the Dursleys and waiting until she was of age and could use magic outside of Hogwarts.

"Harry, I know Remus and I aren't very good role models, but we want to help you. What James and Lily were thinking to make me your godfather is still a mystery. Remus would have been a better choice."

"Sirius, stop that," Remus said softly.

"Yeah, stop it, Siri. Besides, Remus can only warm the bottom of the bed once a month. You can do it any old day," Harry said.

Sirius grinned and helped Harry over to sit on the couch. A moment later, Hermione joined him.

"You're looking better," Cindy said.

Harry nodded. "Maybe, but I still tire easily."

Remus chuckled. "That's because your core is still refilling after you shook off the fever. Your core was low to start, which made you vulnerable to the fever, and then it almost emptied fighting it. As it stands, Madam Salote is amazed that the fever broke early and your core is refilling so quickly."

Sirius leaned toward Harry and scowled at him. "From now on, you're going to go at a more reasonable pace. And I want to see you getting at least eight hours sleep a night. Master Kwang has done a good job of getting you into shape. Now I think I'll ask him to design a simple maintenance plan to stay that way. There's no need to build you up into some muscle bound hulk."

Harry glared at Sirius, but his godfather refused to back down. Finally he looked away. "Fine," he muttered, looking away.

Hermione shook her head and he turned to look at her inquisitively.

"I never thought I'd see the day that Sirius Black would be downright parental," she said dryly.

Sirius suddenly looked mortified and both Remus and Cindy broke up laughing.

"Sirius? A parent?" exclaimed Remus. "Merlin help the child!"

"Hey! I think he'd make a good father," protested Cindy.

Harry turned to her. "Is there something you'd like to share with us?" he asked with a wide grin.

She blushed and looked down. "Um, no, not really. I'm just saying."

Sirius glared at Harry. "Only your illness is stopping me from making you say uncle!"

"Thank Merlin for island fever then," Harry replied.

Hermione grinned.

Sirius glared at him for a moment longer, then his expression softened somewhat. "Hermione told us that you felt especially alone on Halloween."

He nodded warily, wondering what Sirius had up his sleeve.

Sirius turned to Hermione. "How's your occlumency?"

She gasped. "McGonagall asked me that same question. She said to enter the trance and put a drop of blood in the center of the pentagram on the front covers of the journals."

"McGonagall told you that?" exclaimed Remus.

Hermione nodded. "She didn't say what would happen. She just said to arrange a time when we both could do it at the same time."

"And did you try it?" pressed Sirius.

Hermione shook her head. "No. I didn't tell Harry about it because I wasn't sure what it would do."

Sirius shook his head in dismay. "Hermione, I love you to pieces and I suspect someday you'll be my goddaughter-in-law, but you need to be willing to experiment occasionally. I think this whole Halloween incident might have been avoided if you had followed McGonagall's advice."

Hermione stared at Sirius in shock.

"What will happen?" she asked.

Sirius opened his mouth, but Remus laid a hand on his shoulder and shook his head. Sirius nodded to him in agreement, then he turned back to Hermione. "Just try it, Hermione. Did you bring your journal with you?"

She nodded. She never went anywhere without her journal. It had become a part of her, like her favorite book, Hogwarts: A History.

Remus smirked at the young woman. "Just remember that it only lasts for an hour and you can only do it every two days. But I think Sirius is right. It will help you both."

She glanced over to Harry, who shrugged. "Even hearing your voice would have helped," he said softly. "I'm willing to try it, if they think it will help. I was in a dark place and I don't want to go back there again."

"Alright. Let's wait until after Christmas, though. You're still tired from being sick."

He nodded and leaned against her shoulder. Remus launched into a conversation about the protections that had been placed on the ring and the great antiquity of them. The Americans recognized there was an exceedingly dark curse on the object and it had to be destroyed, but they also lamented the fact that the object obviously had some historical significance.

Somewhere in the middle of that conversation, Hermione felt Harry slip into sleep. Without giving it a second thought, she used her ring to lay him out on the couch with his head resting in her lap. She gently combed his hair with her fingers.

The adults exchanged grins, but said nothing.


Hermione's home, Oxford, England, Dec 21st , 1995...

"Anyone home?"

Emma looked up to see the garage door open and Cindy walk in to the house.

"Cindy! Come in. I didn't expect to see you today. Is everything alright?"

As she spoke, she turned and placed a kettle on the stove for tea, then motioned for Cindy to take a seat at the table.

"Yes, yes, everything is fine. Harry is recovering nicely, although he's still sleeping a lot. The village healer dropped off several nutrient potions to help him recover the bulk he lost while ill. And Hermione is hovering nicely."

Emma smiled at that. "And Harry isn't complaining? Dan complains if I hover too much when he's feeling ill."

She shook her head. "No. I think he actually enjoys the attention. Remus explained his upbringing to me and it does make sense. He had no one to care for him while he was growing up at his aunt and uncle's house. So if Hermione coddles him a little, he's not going to turn it away. Besides, she's in seventh heaven. She even managed to convince him to read that book she's so fond of."

Emma smiled knowingly. "That boy knows exactly what buttons she likes pushed."

Cindy blinked. "I think you give him too much credit. He's a smart lad, but he lets her do most of the steering, at least for now. I've had the opportunity to really watch him now and he's one of the strangest people I've ever met. He's incredibly driven, so much so that he drove himself into illness, and at the same time he has little self esteem and is very uncomfortable in situations involving other people.

"I actually worry that he'll be cast adrift once this Voldemort is finally gone. I've been trying to steer him into thinking about career opportunities, but he doesn't have any long term goals."

Emma frowned. "What do you suggest?"

Cindy sipped at her tea. "Let's enlist Hermione. She's the one person he almost always listens to. Maybe if she started talking along those lines, he'll get the hint."

"I don't know. Isn't that rather pushy? I mean, she's only going on seventeen. Wouldn't that seem like she's herding him towards a marriage?" asked Emma worriedly.

"It might, if Harry were normal, but I don't think he'll feel that way," Cindy replied. "Besides, he needs to think about what life can be like after Voldemort is out of the picture."

Emma nodded, mulling over the idea. She could see Cindy's point well enough. However, she didn't want to talk about her daughter's love life. That seemed to be developing all by itself with no help from her. "So, how are things with you and Sirius?" she asked innocently.

Cindy blushed. "In some ways he's more of a kid than Harry, but I guess that's to be expected. And just when I'm about to despair, thinking he'll never grow up, he does something so totally adult. Yesterday he laid down the law to Harry and they had a contest of wills over it. Harry lost, this time," she said, then she sighed. "Although, to be honest, if Harry weren't recovering from his fever, I think they might have wrestled over it."

Her expression brightened and she smiled at Emma. "Actually, it's rather refreshing. Sirius makes me stop and laugh. Before, it was rush to see patients, rush to get lab results, or rush for this conference or that one. He makes me stop and look around with wonder. He's put magic into my world and I rather like that."

Emma hid her smug grin by taking a sip of tea. She never really expected Cindy to take to Sirius as well as she did. Cindy had been hurt by a man she'd nearly married five years ago. She'd sworn off men and relationships after that.

Cindy stood. "I'm off to do some last minute shopping for the holiday, then I'll head back to the beach house. Can I pick you up anything while I'm in London?"

Emma shook her head. Their shopping was long over and Hermione had made it infinitely easier when she shrank everything down and put it into a single bag. "No, we're set. Although I'm going to go pop over to the beach house in a bit to remind Hermione that we have the family Christmas party to go to."

Cindy nodded and headed for the door with a wave.

Emma waited until the door was closed, then she started laughing. "Girl, you have it bad," she muttered.


Author's Notes:

We interrupt these author's notes to bring you a public service announcement!!!

INTRODUCING THE FAN FICTION EXCUSE NOTE!

Instructions:
Please print below the dotted line.
Circle all appropriate fields.
Do not bend, fold, spindle or mutilate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Boss/Teacher/Parent/Spouse/Child,
Please excuse _________________ from doing their work/homework/cleaning their room/talking to you/Taking care of you and feeding you. They were engaged in the more important duty of reading the latest chapter from the non-award winning tag team wrestling duo of Bob and Alyx.

If you are under the impression that performing one of the following (please circle appropriately) activities is more important, you are clearly mistaken. Hence the reason for this note.

Writing that report to prevent world war.
Writing that report to keep the company liquid.
Curing cancer.
Landing men on the moon.
Doing their homework.
Cleaning their room.
Taking out the trash and walking the dog.
Making love.
Apologizing to your spouse for pushing her/him away from the computer.
Changing that three day old smelly diaper.
Taking the gun away from the toddler.
Feeding the baby.
Taking that at home pregnancy test.
Cooking dinner for the family.
Talking to the family.
Admitting they have a family.

It is important that you understand where you stand in the grand scheme of things in the life of your loved one. You are a distraction when a new chapter is published, and entertainment when there is nothing better to do. Life would be so much easier if you would hide in your Office/Classroom/Bedroom except for such times when the note bearer actually desires your presence.

Your cooperation will be enforced.
Bob & Alyx (Will wrestle for donuts)

  • Previous
  • Next