Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next

Standard Disclaimer:

"Whips, chains, cat-o-nine tails. Check, check and check," Bob said, muttering to himself in a low tone.

Alyx looked up from reading her latest manual on Taxidermy for fun and profit.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Well you wanted to invite Ed, Treck and Dazza to this chapter's disclaimer right?" replied Bob.

Alyx nodded and placed her book down next to her copy of "Stuffing your Enemy for Eternity."

"Well, here, buy me some new toys from the catalog," Alyx said.

Bob looked over at the offered periodical. "The Catalog of Doom?" he said dubiously then he took the catalog from her hands.

Alyx turned and faced the audience. "While my husband is doing that, I'd like to tell everyone that we don't own Harry Potter. In fact, if we did, the story would have been much better. Snape would have gotten the girl and Harry would be a mere side character."

"OOOO!!!!"

Bob rushed up to Alyx interrupting her in her disclaimer. "Look!" he shouted frantically, pointing to a page from the Catalog of Doom. "This would be great for Ed, don't you agree?"

Alyx glanced down at the page and shuddered. "Rocket powered Buttplug with spring loaded compartment for Fire Ants. Fire Ants not included."

She looked at Bob and scowled. "You know, I'm really starting to worry about you!"

"Oh? I'm not the one with the Frying Pan of Infinite Attacks, or the +2 Spatula of Pain. I didn't buy rocket launcher you're mounting on the truck or the small dog rated Microwave oven."

Alyx huffed at him and placed her hands on her hips. "Honestly, a girl is allowed to have a few toys!"

"Fine, see if I try to help you anymore. I'm going back to my writing," Bob muttered, then he turned and pushed Generic Reader #7 into Alyx's vat of piranha.

"It's too early to feed my fishies!" screeched Alyx.

Bob rolled his eyes and turned to the audience. "Oh let's just get on with the story!"


The Power of the Press
Chapter 5

Daily Prophet Lead Article, July 31st, 1996

Sirius Black Offers New Inter-Species Protection Bill

With the fall of Minister Scrimgeour's administration, Minister Amelia Bones has set the tone for a more tolerant Ministry. In this new environment, Sirius Black, head of the Black family, has introduced a new bill calling for a more broad-minded, progressive approach to other species.

"It doesn't make sense to me to treat the other sentient species like subhumans. They think, they have souls, they deserve our respect, but we don't give it to them. The Muggles have a phrase which goes like this, 'Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you.'" Black said at the most recent Wizengamot meeting.

Political analysts are predicting a close vote on the new bill, which unsurprisingly has the backing of Gringotts and the Ministry. But there is a vocal minority in the Wizengamot who are vehemently opposed to this bill in any form.

Sirius Black represents a faction of the Wizengamot that supports the efforts of Minister Bones and her work to bring about a fairer Ministry for all magical species. Until recently, such efforts would have been in vain. Minister Scrimgeour's administration would not have allowed such a measure, but with the arrest and subsequent execution of Dolores Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary for Magic, the administration fell, paving the way for Minister Bones to take over.

Under the proposed legislation, Goblins and the major humanoid species will be afforded the same basic rights as wizards. Sirius Black says this bill will "not completely end the bias towards the other species, but it's a start. And for the first time there will be a mechanism in place which will enable house elves to lodge complaints about mistreatment."

When asked, Black said that the bill is a necessary first step towards recognizing the other species as equals. He noted that Britain is falling behind the rest of the wizarding world because of its antiquated ideas.

While many think this new legislation is worthwhile, not everyone agrees. Walden McNair is stepping to the forefront of the opposition. "This bill is a danger to us and our way of life. Do you think Harry Potter sacrificed his magic for house elves? Of course he didn't. And we should uphold his great sacrifice by sticking with our glorious traditions."


Quibbler Lead Article, July 31st, 1996...

American UFO Sightings Result of Tainted Butterbeer!

In an attempt to undermine the stability of the American Ministry, we've learned that our Ministry has been sending tainted Butterbeer to the Americas in the hope of causing mass drunkenness.

This plot was uncovered at the annual Labor Day celebration in Wisconsin. Each year in this backward state, thousands gather for the Kielbasa Art Festival, where they drink butterbeer by the barrel and eat massive amounts of sausage.

This year, they were honoring Milfred McFertile, aged 102, and mother to 67 children, 407 grandchildren and 1209 great-grandchildren. She was touted as the perfect person to honor this year, considering the number of times she's been in labor.

The tainted butterbeer resulted in hundreds of UFO sightings ranging in shapes from saucers to something one person said looked like a flying penis.

It's true we don't normally use the word "flying" in this publication, but we decided for this issue it was necessary.

The tainted Butterbeer was discovered as the cause and traced back to a distillery formerly owned by the Malfoy family and now owned by the Ministry. Ministry officials are denying they had anything to do with a flying penis, and further claim their butterbeer was not tainted until the Americans mixed it with something called Pepsi.

What Pepsi is, is a mystery, and we wonder what it has to do with a flying penis. Frankly, we're worried about the whole thing. We promise to keep you informed on this story.

Coming next week, Harry Potter single handedly defeats Germany's nude woman volleyball team. "He’s got a magnificent spike," said Olga Broomhildegarde, team captain. "We all wanted to see what he could do with it."


Hermione's House, Oxford, England, Aug 1st, 1996...

Rita Skeeter had a nose for a story, and some of the rumors she had heard in Diagon Alley and elsewhere made her think that one family in particular might be more involved in the Potter disappearance than anyone suspected.

It made sense, in a way. After all, while the adults in the family were Muggles, their daughter was a witch who, by all accounts, was Harry Potter's best friend at Hogwarts.

It had cost her a small fortune in bribes and promises of favors in order to locate where the girl lived. But when it came to news, she had no scruples. She'd not let anyone get in her way of publishing a story, no matter who got hurt. Occasionally, the tables were turned and she found herself being used to help expose scandals or the wrongdoings of others. Minerva McGonagall had done so just a few months ago. But she didn't mind, really. She got the majority of lead stories in the Prophet and people knew they could trust her to bring them the unvarnished truth!

Now her nose was twitching, and that meant there was a story behind the disappearance of Harry Potter. A story that no one suspected.

She had spent the day prowling around the outside of the house, hoping to get inside when someone opened a door. The wards had been a problem, but she knew a technique for slipping through them that confused most security wards.

Rita Skeeter was an Animagus, and a unique one at that. Unlike most Animagi, who mastered control of the instinctive self of the animal, Skeeter gave her form free reign, commanding from a higher level. This allowed her to maintain her talent for remembering conversations verbatim. It was this instinctive independence which allowed her to fool most wards. The bug did the work of flying and moving, while she commanded from the back of the brain, an observer rather than an active participant.

She flew around to the back of the house, her frustration mounting. She had not heard nor seen anyone since her arrival. The cars were still at the house, so she reasoned that the family had to be close by.

By six that evening she was beginning to think she'd taken the wrong approach, though the idea had seemed good at the time.

She paused and listened. When a light turned on upstairs and a radio began to play, she froze and listened carefully. Unable to hear anyone speaking over the radio, she flew up to the window, but couldn't see anyone.

A light went on in the bathroom, only to be turned off a minute later.

Her anger and frustration climbing, she was about to fly down and change forms to confront these Muggles when the yard lights came on.

Now we're getting somewhere! she thought happily. Someone must be coming out of the house. She leaped from the windowsill, her little wings flapping like mad.

More automatic timer circuits kicked in, activating the large blue light bug zapper Dan had installed. The random lighting was merely part of a comprehensive anti-burglar system designed to make it appear as if the house was occupied when it wasn't.

Skeeter, in allowing the insect to control her movements, had only a few seconds to panic and try to wrest control from the primitive mind flying the beetle. The attempt was unsuccessful. She saw an intense flash of blue light, then felt pain like she'd never felt before.

She tumbled to the ground, more dead than alive. Her antennae had been vaporized, and the electricity had burned a swath of destruction across her face and thorax.

In intense pain, she took over an hour to revert back to human form. Blind in one eye and totally deaf, thanks to the loss of her ears, she stumbled out towards the street, where she collapsed, unconscious.

A neighbor of the Grangers, out walking his dog, spotted the injured woman and called 999, summoning an ambulance.

She was rushed to a hospital where she would spend the next three weeks recovering enough for her to Apparate to St. Mungos. Unfortunately by then, the damage was done. As Muggle medicine and her own body had healed what it could, magical healing could do nothing for her.


Waivunu, Fiji, Aug 6th 1996...

"Hang on, Harry!"

Sirius gunned the boat and Harry felt the slack being taken up in the rope. The parasail billowed out behind him and his feet let the ground. He continued running in midair for a moment, then laughed.

This was their 'down' week. Dan and Emma were with them and, with the exception of three hours studying around dinner time, they basically relaxed and had a real vacation. It was hard on Hermione at first; her fingers itched to open her books and reread them. But they managed to distract her.

The large Sheraton hotel in Nadi held dances every night and formal ball room dances on Saturday evenings, which they planned to attend. Harry was only a fair dancer, but Hermione enjoyed it and as long as she could put up with his need to fly, even if it was tethered to the back of a boat, he could dance with her.

Another change from last year was that in the days preceding their arrival in Fiji, Sirius had come to England and told Harry that he would be paying for everything. Remus helped Harry lay out the budget based on what he had available in his trust vault.

He was paying for a vacation for his family. He was in no danger of spending all his money, but Remus and Sirius wanted him to get used to the idea of managing the money in a real situation, rather than a classroom. Since most of his tutors had been prearranged and paid for by James and Lily, and Sirius picked up the cost of the few new ones they had to get, his trust fund was largely unused.

Dan played out the line below and Harry rose higher into the sky. Dan and Cindy had already had their turn and Sirius was driving the boat, although he claimed he'd get a chance another time. Emma, Hermione and Remus seemed reluctant to give parasailing a shot.

He grinned, seeing the boat looking so small below him. Looking out at the broad vista before him, his brow crinkled as he spotted something.

On the horizon were two specks. It looked like two people on brooms approaching fast. Without thinking, he morphed into Evan, then switched on the intercom that allowed him to talk to the boat.

"Sirius, I see two wizards on brooms coming up fast... Wait, they're splitting up. One looks to be heading for the boat, the other for me."

"Hang tight, Harry. We're reeling you in," came the tinny reply. He felt the tug on his harness as the electric winch began to reel him in. The winch wasn't all that fast; they'd never be able to get him into the boat in time. He wished he could Apparate, but he'd take the rope and harness with him and risk fouling the boat's propeller if he did.

Below on the boat, Harry could see Cindy, Dan and Emma going below deck. Hermione and Remus scanned the skies with their wands ready, while Sirius turned the boat around to head for shore.

The two riders came closer, one heading for the boat the other heading for Harry.

"Death Eaters!" Harry hissed.

A stunner lanced up from the boat and splashed against a shield. The Death Eater approaching Harry grinned broadly. As far as he could tell, Harry was unarmed. He had left his wand back at the beach house.

"Evan Black, cousin of the blood traitor, Sirius Black?"

Below them, the other Death Eater screamed and fell from his broom, most of his guts spilling out by a well placed cutting hex from Remus.

"Damnation," swore the Death Eater, seeing his companion fall into the water with a scream. He turned back to Harry. "This is what happens when you consort with blood traitors! Crucio!"

The curse caught Harry by surprise and flew right through the shield he had erected. It struck him in the chest, and he screamed as every nerve in his body sang with excruciating pain.

Sirius slewed the boat back and forth, trying to drag Harry out from under the curse. Finally, he turned the boat around. That caused the tether to go slack and Harry started to spiral down.

His vision graying, he gestured, snap conjuring a heavy stone above the Death Eater. It appeared and gravity kicked in. Plummeting down, it struck the Death Eater and the man fell nearly a hundred feet, his skull smashed.

Harry groaned and passed out in the harness. His last thought was a dim recognition of Hermione screaming his name when he went limp in the harness.

Sirius reversed direction again and Dan came back up on deck to work the winch. Between them they managed to get his fall under control and brought him aboard.

When he awoke he was in his bed and every nerve in his body ached. He moaned softly and tried to lift his head to look around. The effort exhausted him.

"Harry, lie still. Remus should be back any minute with an anti-Cruciatus potion," Hermione said, her expression filled with worry. She placed a cool cloth against his forehead; it was a futile gesture and they both knew it.

"Whe... W-w-where's S-S-Sirius?"

The after effects of the curse was making speech difficult. He was wracked with tremors. This was his first exposure to the dreaded torture curse, and he now understood why it had earned the name. Every nerve in his body jolted and flared as if he was being zapped with electricity and his muscles ached terribly.

"He's checking the wards on the house right now. Dad's with him. Mum and Cindy are in Mum's room. Mum was really shook up."

He blinked and tried to look at her, but he couldn't focus properly.

"Harry, can you switch back to Evan? We don't know if Remus will be alone or not when he returns with the potion. Because it's a controlled potion, he had to go to Britain and get some from the Ministry," she explained.

His features rippled and he groaned in pain. His body shuddered and he shook his head. He couldn't control the transformation in this condition. Hermione nodded and waved her hand, casting a glamor on him that approximated Evan.

The door opened and Cindy entered. "How is he?" she asked as she moved to stand next to Hermione.

"Hurtsss" he hissed through clenched teeth.

He reached out and grabbed Cindy's hand. "Tell S-S-Sirius, they w-w-weren't l-l-looking for m-me. They w-w-wanted him!"

Her eyes widened with understanding and she nodded, then she turned to Hermione. "Tell me again what that curse does?"

"It's an Unforgivable curse, banned by the Ministry. It causes overwhelming pain. I've never felt it, but it's driven people insane. They say it's like being stabbed hundreds of times all over your body."

"Bloody hurts, still," Harry moaned. He lay back and tried to control his shaking body.

The door opened allowing Remus and another person to enter the room. Remus stepped over to the bed holding a bottle.

"Evan, I've brought a dose of anti-Cruciatus potion. It will help alleviate the after effects from the curse. Since this is a British Ministry-controlled potion, and the attack was mostly on British citizens, I've brought Auror Tonks here to talk to us, you included."

He nodded and Remus motioned to Cindy, who propped him up so he could drink the potion. His hands trembled so much she had to hold the potion for him. While he was drinking, the door opened and Sirius entered the room with Dan and Emma. He looked surprised to see his cousin, but he nodded to her and turned his attention on Harry.

He finished the potion and sagged against Cindy in relief. She shook her head in amazement at how fast magical medications worked.

Harry cracked one eye open and focused on Sirius. "They were after you, Sirius. That's what the Death Eater told me," he said in an exhausted voice.

Sirius looked startled for a moment.

"Well, you don't have to worry about them, Evan. Remus got the one that came for us with a cutting hex; hit him in the belly and he went down fast, then yours. I don't think anyone will be able to find the bodies, either," Sirius said. "It's a shame, but we were too worried about you to bother finding what was left of them."

"They weren't Death Eaters," Tonks announced. "They're part of a new group calling themselves the Cult of Voldemort. Each member is a disciple." She turned to Harry. "And how do you know they were after Mr. Black?"

"Weren't you listening?" Harry asked, a bit annoyed. "The guy on the broom told me they were after Sirius. Just before he hit me with the Cruciatus, he said, 'this is what happens when you consort with blood traitors'."

Tonks nodded and peered closer at Harry frowning. "Why are you... Who are you?" she demanded. Being an expert in disguises, she was capable of easily spotting his glamor.

Almost instantly she had three wands pointed at her.

"Hermione!" shouted Emma. "Put that down."

Hermione shook her head stubbornly and held her wand firmly.

"Nymphadora, can we talk about this like adults? Or should we just Obliviate you?"

She looked at her older cousin. "Sirius, this is serious. I just gave a controlled potion to someone hiding behind a glamor. There's been an attack on a Wizengamot member. And just who is Evan Black, anyway? I thought I knew all of the family."

"Sirius, just tell her," Harry said tiredly. His exposure to the curse had taken a lot out of him. This was the first time he ever experienced anything so painful and the after-effects were nearly as bad as the original curse. He closed his eyes and slipped into an exhausted sleep.

"Damn," Sirius swore. "I'm going to do something I never thought I'd do."

He turned to Tonks. "Nymphadora Black-Tonks, as Head of your House, I am invoking Familiar Obligatora on you."

Tonks blinked and stared at him in shock. Remus gaped at him.

"Sire?" Tonks squeaked as the powerful family magics took hold. A glowing field seemed to engulf her, holding her fast.

"Hermione, is that your glamor?" Sirius asked.

Shocked beyond words, she nodded mutely. She had never seen Sirius like this. She had no idea what kind of magic he had just invoked, but its effect on Tonks was obvious.

"Would you dispel it, please?"

Hermione turned and canceled the spell on Harry.

"Sirius, what are you doing?" demanded Cindy, who was watching Tonks with mounting alarm. The young woman seemed to be struggling against massive forces, and losing.

"A moment and it will all be clear," Sirius said sadly.

He walked over to Tonks and turned her so she could see the figure on the bed. Her brow furrowed.

"In a little while, cousin, I will release you from the family magic, and hopefully you won't hate me for doing this to you. However, you are looking at the last hope of the wizarding world. He is all that stands between us and Voldemort returning. More importantly, he is like a son to me and I will not see him harmed. Not by you or anyone else."

Sirius moved to stand in front of Tonks and she looked at him. "Yes, that's Harry Potter. The real Harry Potter, with all the bindings removed from his magic, with all his magic intact. He is probably the most powerful wizard on the planet, except for Voldemort, and we know they have the same level of power.

"Dumbledore was playing dangerous games with Harry's life, so we pulled a hoax, making it seem like he had no magic. That had two effects. The first was that it got him out from under Dumbledore's thumb and the second is that all of Voldemort's supporters believe Voldemort to be powerless.

"As long as Harry and his abilities remain secret, he has time to train and time to live. When the time comes, a properly trained Harry Potter will kill Voldemort, then he will go on to live a long, happy life making lots of little Black-Potters.

"But for now, I need your promise to keep his secret. I don't want to force your cooperation, Tonks, but if it comes down to him or you, he wins. I will protect him."

"I'll willingly keep the secret, Sire," she whispered, still cowering under the powerful family magic.

Sirius stared at her for a moment then nodded. "Then I release you from Familiar Obligatora with no conditions or obligations."

Tonks staggered and nearly fell as the nimbus of energy surrounding her vanished, but Sirius steadied her.

"Cor! And here I thought Mum was putting one over on me. That's worse than an Imperius!"

"I'm sorry, Nymphadora..." Sirius trailed off at her glare.

"Not as sorry as you'll be if you call me Nymphadora again," she muttered darkly. "Call me Tonks."

She looked down at Harry and nodded to herself. "All right, I can see why you want to protect this secret. I just wish you hadn't used the family magic on me."

"I wish I hadn't either," Sirius said, his complexion had paled considerably. "Remus, take them to the dining room. Talk there and let Harry sleep."

Sirius trembled and then he bolted from the room. Cindy watched him, alarmed, as he vanished.

"Go to him, Cindy. He's probably in your bathroom throwing up," Remus said. Then he tried to put on a bright face. "Shall we let Harry sleep in peace?"

Remus led the thoroughly confused people from the bedroom. Cindy went towards the master bedroom where she and Sirius slept.

In the dinning room Remus conjured a tea service and poured himself a cup. He took a deep drink and shook his head sadly. "Ms. Tonks, Sirius didn't want to cast that on you. If I know him, he's an emotional wreck at the moment," he told her quietly.

Tonks looked at him, unsure whether to believe him or not.

"Why don't you first explain what just happened?" Dan asked him. It was obvious to him that something powerful had happened that affected Tonks and Sirius deeply, but he didn't understand it at all.

Remus sighed and nodded. "In the old pure-blood families, like the Potters and the Blacks, there are many types of magic which they keep secret. For example, when Harry turns seventeen he will be able to access the family grimoires and learn the secret spells of the Potter family. The Potters were well known healers and enchanters and their grimoires are rumored to be full of spells for those professions.

"A magical family is more than just people related by blood. There is a special form of magic that is reserved for the Head of the family alone. It allows the Head of the family to enforce his or her will on reluctant family members. Ms. Tonks' mother managed to escape her family and marry her Muggle-born husband before anyone could drag her before the Head of the Black family and force her to do their bidding.

"Sirius had that spell cast on him and he managed to break from the compulsion, but only at the cost of great emotional and physical pain to himself. When the Potters took him in, he vowed never to cast that on anyone. That should tell you how important Harry's life is to him. He broke his own vow and did something he hoped he'd never have to do."

"I would have listened without him casting that," Tonks said mulishly.

"Would you risk the life of someone you love on a maybe, Ms. Tonks?" Remus asked gently.

She shook her head. If she were in the same boat, she would have done the same thing.

"Remus, Harry will have this ability to compel members of the Potter family?" asked Hermione timidly.

Remus smiled understandingly. "The ability, yes. But the knowledge of how to do so? No. According to Harry's grandfather, the knowledge of how to invoke that magic was lost three centuries ago and no one was interested in trying to reclaim it."

She leaned back in her chair, relieved.

"I'd just as soon never tell him about it, but it's probably written down in one of the many journals his family has kept," Sirius said shakily from the doorway. "He'd never use it on anyone, Hermione, especially not you."

Tonks stood and stared at him. The man standing in the doorway was entirely different from the one who had commanded her obedience only a short while ago. His complexion was pasty and he looked haunted. It was Sirius, just recently escaped from Azkaban all over again.

Cindy stood next to him. She held one of his arms and was watching him carefully. Remus had been right. He had been violently ill for a few minutes, and his body was still wracked with tremors. She had never witnessed such a strong emotional reaction before, but she was coming to understand that the wizards were more tightly tied to their emotions than Muggles.

"Tonks," he began.

She walked over to him. "It's all right, Sirius," she said, embracing him gently. Her hair changed from the buttery blond to black and grew down to her waist. "I would do the same thing to protect someone I loved."

Hermione stared at Tonks and her hair. "You.. You..."

Tonks glanced over to her, looking amused. "Yes? Was there something?"

Sirius walked around her and took a chair next to Remus, then he pulled Cindy down into his lap, wrapping his arms around her. Remus grinned and slid a cup of tea over to him.

"You can do what Harry does!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Yeah, about that," Remus said, sounding embarrassed. "I had plans of getting Ms. Tonks out here at Christmas to help Harry. I guess we just let her in on the secret early."

Tonks looked between the two of them. "Harry can grow his hair?" she asked, as her hair shortened and turned bubble gum pink.

"Oh, I want that ability!" murmured Emma.

Tonks shot her a wide grin. As she did, her breasts grew noticeably larger.

"I wouldn't mind you having that ability, either," quipped Dan.

"Daddy!" exclaimed Hermione.

"Dan!" exclaimed Emma.

"Oh, bugger," exclaimed Dan, knowing he was in deep.

Remus looked away and Sirius broke down laughing.

Hermione turned back to Tonks. "Harry's got some sort of morphing ability. So far, he can change hair length and color. Eye color, too. You can do it faster than he can, though."

"Wait," Sirius said, holding up a hand. "There's a lot going on and we need to do this in order. Tonks, can you get a day or two off? I want to find out more about this Cult of Voldemort, and you'll be able to talk to Harry about his abilities. We have the space, you'd be welcome to stay here."

Tonks sat considering for a moment. She glanced out the window at the pristine white beach. It was winter in Fiji, so the temperature was a frigid eighty five degrees. "I think I might be talked into taking some vacation time if I can use that beach," she said with a grin.

Sirius smiled. "Deal!"


Waivunu, Fiji, Aug 7th 1996...

Harry slipped on a robe slowly and slid his feet into a pair of sandals. Every muscle in his body ached, but he felt a hundred percent better than yesterday.

Shuffling out of his bedroom, he went into the kitchen and found, to his surprise, a hot pot of tea sitting on the stove. Filling a cup, he walked slowly out of the kitchen. It was still early, dawn was just beginning to break and everyone was still asleep. He paused in the living room and spotted a figure out on the porch, drinking and looking out over the bay.

"Good morning," he said softly, stepping out onto the porch.

The figure turned and he could see it was a young woman he didn't recognize.

"Wha? Oh... Hi. We met yesterday, but you probably don't remember much of that. I'm Tonks. I won't tell you my first name. That way you can't use it," she said.

Harry smiled softly. "Nympha..."

"Don't say it! I'd hate to have to kill you. Besides, cleaning up and disposing of your body would cause too many questions," she growled.

He nodded and slowly lowered himself into a chair, then gave a sigh of relief. Tonks nodded knowingly.

"Feel like you've been beaten by Bludgers, eh?"

He nodded. "Over every square inch," he replied and then he peered up at her. "Since you're not making a fuss over who I am, can I assume they told you about me?"

Tonks nodded and sipped her tea.

Harry lifted his cup in salute. "Thanks for having tea ready, but why are you up so early?"

"Couldn't sleep. I'm still on England time."

"We stock some sleeping potions to help adjust. Ask Cindy and she'll let you have one."

The sun was just starting to peek over the mountain tops of the interior of the island. Tonks turned and glanced out at the bay. Local native fishermen were already up and working on repairing their nets for the coming day.

"It's beautiful," she murmured.

She turned to see Harry watching her. "Your girlfriend says you can change your hair and eye color?"

He nodded and closed his eyes. His hair lengthened and turned sandy-brown. About a minute later, he opened his eyes and she bent down to look at them. His eyes were an ice blue.

She nodded and hopped up on the railing. "Nice work," she said, then her hair turned, almost instantly to match his eye color.

He blinked at her in surprise. "Remus mentioned he knew someone that..."

"That would be me," she said, then her nose shifted to a pig's snout and back to normal again.

When he stared at her, she laughed. "I'm a Metamorphmagus, and so are you. The difference between you and me is that I've been doing this since I've was six years old."

"When I was six, my Aunt shaved my head. I was so angry and hurt by it, but the next morning my hair had grown back completely."

"And you didn't keep trying to change stuff like I did?"

"No, he wouldn't do that, not in that house," a voice from the doorway said.

Harry craned his neck around to see Remus standing in the doorway, holding a mug of tea.

"Oh? Why not?" asked Tonks.

Harry looked down, playing with the belt of his robes. This was an area he didn't feel comfortable talking about. He had just met Tonks and it wasn't a subject he wanted to share with strangers.

"Do you remember what kind of home life they said he had in the papers, Ms. Tonks?"

Tonks glanced over to Remus. "You mean they were right? Oh, and it's just Tonks."

"Mostly," Harry whispered.

She slid off the railing, walked over to him and crouched down by his side. "I'm sorry to hear that. But not to worry, I can help you. You're gonna be the younger brother my mum was too afraid to have. I guess I was so much of a shock that she swore off having kids after me." As she spoke her ears grew, flapped a few times, then returned to normal.

Remus choked on his tea and looked at the young Auror in alarm.

She jerked a thumb at Remus. "Is he always this stuffy?"

Harry grinned. "Only when he hasn't had his morning tea."

"You know, Mr. Potter, if you weren't still recovering, I'd levitate you into the bay," Remus commented dryly.

"Oh, a live one!" Tonks said, flashing him a grin. As she did, her hair changed to a bubblegum pink afro.

Remus chuckled and shook his head. Looking at Harry, his brow furrowed in concern. "Still hurts?" he asked softly.

Harry nodded. "Shouldn't the potion have fixed this?"

"'Fraid not, Harry," Tonks replied, her mood sobering. "The potion eliminates the after pain from the curse itself, but can't do anything for the pain caused by nerves being healed or repaired. But it should be gone in a day or so."

Harry closed his eyes and shuddered, thinking he had to go through another day of this.

Tonks grinned and took pity on him. "You can take a mild pain relief potion. It will help. If you had a Muggle hot tub, the jets would ease the ache also. It's one of the greatest Muggle inventions."

Remus patted his shoulder. "I'll get you a pain relief potion."

Tonks watched Remus go into the house with a thoughtful expression. "He seems quite attached to you, like Sirius."

"We're family. Pretty much all we have left is each other. They were best friends with my parents. Had it not been for Dumbledore's interference, I would have gone to Sirius right after my parents were killed. When they found out what was happening to me at my relatives, they rescued me and here we are," Harry said softly. "Remus is a quiet man, a real thinker and a whiz at teaching Defense and Charms." He smiled softly. "I suppose it's like having two dads, between him and Sirius."

Remus stepped back out onto the porch and handed him a small bottle.

He uncorked it and swallowed it down, making a face as he did. "Blah! Why can't they make a potion that tastes good?"

Remus chuckled.

Harry put the empty bottle on the table next to his chair and picked up his now lukewarm tea to wash the taste from his mouth. Once he had accomplished that and his mouth didn't taste like last year's ashtray, he turned to Tonks. "So just how much control do you have over your form? I noticed you changed your nose into a pig's nose. Can you change into a pig?"

"Only when I'm hungry," she replied with a mischievous smile and a wink. Remus coughed hard again, choking on his tea.

"But seriously, a Metamorphmagus can change pieces of themselves to animal parts, but not the whole package. And unlike an Animagus, who is that animal, I can only achieve a superficial change. For example, given enough time I could copy every square inch of you. But that would only be on the outside. I could look like you, sound like you, even pee like you, but inside all my squishy stuff is still female," she said.

When Harry glanced up at him, Remus sighed. He knew that look. Harry was about to pull one over on Tonks.

"I'm sure you could look like me, but I don't think you could pass all the male tests," he said, sounding serious.

Tonks frowned. "Well, no. The reproductive functions don't work, not to mention I don't bat that way. So even if everything did function, it's doubtful I could perform."

"Yeah, but can you write your name in the snow when you pee?" Harry asked innocently.

She blinked at him stupidly. "They don't teach that!" she exclaimed. Then her expression changed. "Do they?"

"Well, you know that witches have secrets we wizards never learn. Wizards have secrets too, you know," Harry said proudly. "But if you don't believe me, ask Sirius or Remus. I'm only telling you the secret because some day your life might depend on it."

When she glanced up at Remus, he looked at her innocently and nodded with a straight face.

"My instructors at the Auror Academy never mentioned this to me when I took stealth and disguises," she muttered.

"Maybe they never expected you to be able to pass yourself off as a guy?" offered Harry carefully.

She glanced at him suspiciously. "Are you sure they teach this stuff to wizards?"

"First year health lecture. You remember. When they split the classes down gender lines?" Remus replied for Harry. A good Marauder never passed up the chance to get in on a prank!

Tonks swore under her breath and stood. "Excuse me," she muttered and walked into the house. She hadn't been taught a necessary skill and that rankled.

Remus sat down next to Harry and started chuckling. After a few minutes they fell into a companionable silence that lasted until Hermione joined them nearly an hour later.

"Remus? Auror Tonks is wondering if we have a book on weather spells. For some reason she wants to make snow," Hermione said, confused.

Remus and Harry shared one long look and started laughing, only increasing Hermione's confusion.

Several hours later, everyone was gathered out on the porch when Tonks rejoined them after taking a small dose of sleeping potion to help her adjust. She could only stay for a few days, but would take more time around Christmas and would pop over on some weekends for day visits.

Sirius grinned at her. Remus had told him about the snow prank and he thought it was a wonderful joke. "Ah, Tonks, glad you could join us. Now that everyone is awake and present, how about you explain this Cult of Voldemort business?"

"Almost everyone," Hermione murmured. She was cuddling with Harry on the chair and he was dozing again.

"Let him sleep," Cindy said softly. "I don't fully understand the curse that he was hit with, but the after-effects are truly terrible. He'll sleep until his body tells him he doesn't need to anymore."

Tonks nodded and walked over to lean against the railing of the porch. "Let's see. The Cult is something new. They first showed up a couple months ago when they attacked a local primary school teacher for teaching pure-blood children that House Elves should be treated with respect.

"There have been several other attacks since then. The DMLE is keeping an eye out for them, but this is the first time they went after a Wizengamot member. That represents a big change in the way they operate."

"Sounds like Merlin's Coven," Remus said thoughtfully.

Tonks gave him a blank look.

"About two hundred years ago a group emerged that called themselves Merlin's Coven. They tried hard to force people to accept the old druid ways, despite the fact that we've forgotten most of the old druid customs. They thought they were doing Merlin's work, but the group was eventually stamped out."

"So, is this a fringe group of nuts or is it a real threat?" asked Sirius.

Tonks scowled. "We aren't sure, to be truthful. At first it seemed like a real fringe group, but the word on the street is that they've recently picked up some big backers with real money. We suspect a few members of the Wizengamot who are trying to block your equality bill may be bankrolling, or even controlling the Cult now."

"Great," Harry murmured sardonically. "Something else to make Britain the laughing-stock of the world."

Hermione turned to him. "You're awake!"

He nodded. "Long enough to know there's a new group of crazies out there." He looked over to Tonks. "So, what's the Ministry doing about it?"

"We're taking it very seriously, Harry, I promise you. But I can't go into specifics," she replied.

Harry watched her for a long moment, then nodded.

Tonks turned to Sirius. "When I reported this attack, Madam Bones was particularly concerned. I did report that a local citizen had been hit with an Unforgivable. I had to, in order to get a dose of the remedy. Madam Bones was considering sending you a bodyguard, Sirius. Fortunately, I managed to convince her to let me first check things out. Good thing I did," she said, glancing at Harry.

"I'll say," Harry muttered.

"The Grangers will be returning to England in two days. I'll return with them and check in with Amelia. Remus, will you double check the wards and see if I missed anything?" Sirius said.

Remus nodded. He'd planned on looking over the wards anyway. Sirius' idea of wards tended to be rather prankish in nature and this required a more adult approach.

"When do the tutors start arriving?" asked Cindy.

"Monday," Hermione replied.

"That's only three days away. Will Harry be up for classes then?" Cindy pressed.

"He'll be fine. It usually takes a day or two to recover after the anti-Cruciatus potion is administered," answered Tonks.

"I'm feeling better already," Harry murmured.

Tonks snorted. "Yeah, until you move. Right now what you're feeling is the pain relief potion."

He grimaced at her and sunk back into his chair. Hermione leaned back with him and picked up his book, handing it to him.

He took the book reluctantly. He'd been in the lounger most of the morning and every time he needed to move, his body reminded him it wasn't a good idea. With a sigh, he opened up the book on advanced Transfiguration and started reading again.


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Transmitted Entry), Sept 1st 1996, Hogwarts Exp...

Dear Harry,
September first and I'm writing this to you on the Express, speeding its way north to Hogwarts. My Prefect duties are taken care of and I'm sitting in a compartment with Ron, Neville and Ginny.

Apparently Ginny spoke to several others in August, and her experiences with Evan are all the talk of the gossip mill. Several girls have passed by the compartment and stared in at me. I suspect that, thanks to Ginny's gossip, your photo is going to be more popular than ever.

Ginny is suffering from a large dose of jealousy, but she has Neville and that's keeping her occupied. I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for Neville or not, but maybe she'll settle down and not be so tempted by what she sees.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing when she told me again that Evan is as cute as Harry Potter.

Now are you ready for this? Hold onto something. Ron is sitting across from me, reading his potions book! Apparently he met a witch named Hannah Abbott in August. I don't know if you remember Hannah. She's a Hufflepuff in our year. Medium height, blond hair, usually braided into a single plait? Anyway, she made it clear that she didn't date poor students. So, for her, he's been studying! Can you believe it? Who knew that all I had to do was offer to date you both to get you to study! (I'm KIDDING!).

Despite the rocky start to August, I can't believe how much we accomplished. I am trying very hard to resist the temptation to Apparate right now, and I couldn't believe that impromptu lecture Remus gave us on warding. Who would have thought we'd have the chance to really learn something about such advanced magic? I used the morning before we left for the train to add a few wards to my parent's house. Nothing major, just a fire alarm and suppression ward, but it felt good to be able to do that for them.

I packed away your gift. I wish you'd let me open it, but I'll abide by your wish and wait until my birthday. In the meantime, you'll just have to deal with me guessing. I know it's clothing of some sort, but it also makes a clinking sound, which confuses me. Care to give me any hints?

The best part of all was when we fell asleep on the beach and I woke up to feel you pressing against me. I didn't say anything at the time, but your arm around me and your obvious desire made my day. I never felt as safe and at peace as I did in your arms. It was worth the teasing from Tonks when she found us.

I know we've talked about this before but I can't help feel inadequate when compared to some girls like Ginny, or even Lavender. Both girls are very pretty, although I do have a bigger bust than Ginny does, but Lavender has me beat in that department. She's got enough up top for four girls.

I know this is a bad way to end an entry, and we've barely been apart 24 hours, but it would help if you could explain yourself better.

Love,
Hermione


In a nearby compartment...

"Did you see the bookworm?" exclaimed Parvati.

"Parv, that isn't nice," chided Padma. She didn't understand Parvati's animosity against Hermione, or Lavender's. Personally, she thought Hermione looked wonderful and if a guy was responsible for that, more power to her.

Parvati shot her a sour look and turned to Lavender. "Did you see her?"

"I saw her," Lavender said sourly. "It's hard to believe she's our bookworm."

Parvati crossed her arms and huffed in agreement.

"Well, what did you expect?" asked Padma. "According to Ginny, she spent the summer with her boyfriend. They split their time between swimming and studying. She's got a marvelous tan and she's lost weight. When the boys notice her this year, there will be fewer for you two to share."

Lavender glared at Padma, who shrugged. She wasn't intimidated by Lavender.

Parvati leaned back on her seat, thinking. Her sister was right. This Evan boy had turned the bookworm into a beautiful young woman. Hermione carried herself with confidence and grace and it annoyed her greatly.

To add insult to injury, Ginny had met this mysterious Evan, who she called a walking hotness. And the young man literally doted on the bookworm. He all but ignored Ginny, who was one of the prettiest girls in Gryffindor!

Lavender sat steaming. She was perfectly willing to allow Hermione to win at the academics game in school. After all, no one cared about that game but Hermione and a few Ravenclaws. However, when it came to boys, she was the acknowledged expert. She knew how to twist them around her little finger, obtaining favors and sweets without having to expend much effort.

Despite the whispers, Lavender was very much a virgin and she intended to remain that way until she met Mr. Right. In the meantime, she had developed a knack for leading the boys of the school on with gestures and small promises that she rarely kept.

To think that the shy, frumpish bookworm had managed to bag a hunk, and had done it without any help or advice from her, rankled. To think she kept him without some sort of enticement was unthinkable.

Her eyes narrowed. Perhaps she could do something to take away the smug grin Hermione wore now days?

It was a thought worth considering.


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Transmitted Entry), Sept 2nd 1996, Waivunu, Fiji...

Dear Hermione,
Not pretty enough? Hermione, you're beautiful! I'm afraid that one of these days I'll start kissing you and I won't be able to stop and in doing so I'll ruin something special. I've held you close and touched you in ways I've only dreamt about.

I want you Hermione, you know that, you've seen and felt my desire. But I refuse to do anything that will scare you off. Maybe someday when I feel more comfortable with this sort of thing I'll be more assertive. For now, I know I lack the confidence in myself to move things forward. I mean, what if I do something wrong? Or worse, what if I don't please you? What if I don't meet your expectations?

Do you see where I'm coming from?

I promise I'll make it up to you and try hard not to be so reluctant from here on. But you need to promise you'll be quite specific about the limits, all right?

Next subject. Ginny, Lavender, Cho and all the rest of those girls aren't half as pretty as you are. I wish you'd stop putting yourself down and trust me on this. Trust me when I say I know what I like in a girl and you're exactly what I like. And if that doesn't convince you, I may get annoyed, and you wouldn't want me annoyed in bookspace. Believe me!

No, I'm not giving you any hints about your birthday gift. I knew I should have owled it, but international owl is such a pain. I think I'll buy your parents an owl for Christmas so they can use it to keep in touch with you.

You left Fiji just in time. Starting next week, King Kong is taking me on a month long run around the island. That's over 200km! It isn't all going to be physical exercise. We'll stop in the afternoons for classes. He wants to get this done by the end of the month, since we're coming up on the rainy season.

Of course I'll bring the journal with me, and I'll write as much as I can.

Ginny is becoming annoying. What does she mean, Evan is cuter than me? Oh man, if I were there, I'd show her! I'd kiss you senseless in front of her and leave her wishing she were you!

I'll let you go for now. I need to find my pack and start doing laundry so I go on this marathon with King Kong wearing clean boxers.

Love,
Harry


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Private Entry), Sept 20th 1996, Hogwarts...

Can I strangle that man? I opened his gift yesterday (my birthday) and I was surprised to find a fine silken winter cloak and jeweled neck chain/clasp. The notice that came with the cloak said it was made from Chinese Acromantula silk and was charmed to maintain a constant comfortable temperature, as well as being waterproof, stain-proof and fireproof!

Ginny goaded me into bringing it down to the Great Hall, since she and Neville had a gift for me as well. It was a small pile of presents, but it was nice. I only wish Harry had been there. My Mum must have known about the cloak, since the skirt and blouse she sent me matched it perfectly.

Lavender's eyes nearly popped from her skull when she saw my new cloak. The deep forest green seemed to shimmer with a light of its own.

Lavender has barely said ten words to me since the start of school. I think she's still mad at Evan's letter.

Speaking of Evan, I wonder how he's doing on his run. And I worry about it. I know Fiji doesn't have any poisonous snakes, but still, much of the area he'll be camping in is virgin jungle.

He surprised me last night. Really surprised me and I'm not sure what to do yet. We met in bookspace and he was a lot more assertive than he’s been in the past.

I need to think. I love him, but after last night I need to think about this. I'll leave him a quick note. That should tide him over until I figure this out.


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Private Entry), Sept 24th 1996, Waivunu, Fiji...

Hallelujah!!

Someone up there likes me! No, someone up there LOVES me!

I was jogging about a hundred yards behind King Kong, roughly 161km into our 200km run. The day was misty and the sky overcast, with just a hint of rain in the air. It had rained heavily the night before and I had a good pace over the macadam road, despite the slippery conditions. We were in one of the few areas where a paved road between villages was available to run on.

My pack was nearly weightless, but Kong insisted I carry his, and the camp tent and cooking utensils, etc. Are you getting the picture yet?

Anyway Kong had just come to a washout in the road from a flood that happened the night before. It looked very fresh and unstable. I came up behind him and he was still trying to figure out how to cross. When I suggested we just Apparate over it, he told me to give him fifty pushups, while still wearing my pack and his!

I hate that man!

Anyway, while I'm kissing the road, he clambered down one side of the washout and started climbing up the other. Only he slipped and fell back into the ravine, breaking his leg so bad I had to stick him in stasis and tandem Apparate us back to Waivunu.

King Kong, according to Madam Salote, is out of action for at least two months. Even with bone knitting spells and potions, his torn ligaments will take a long time to heal.

And thus ends the marathon run around Fiji by the insane sensei. Now I know what a condemned man feels like when they get a stay of execution! I can't wait to sleep in my bed tonight. As it stands, I took a two hour bath. Cindy nearly broke down the door because she thought I'd fallen unconscious in the tub!

On another note, Hermione and I had trouble getting a time we could meet in bookspace. But we managed five days ago (her birthday) and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. I finally worked up my courage to be a little bolder than usual. She'd told me she wouldn't let me go past the limits and if I tried, she wouldn't be mad at me.

I took her at her word and showed her exactly what I love about her. I caught her by surprise, kissing her when she first arrived and I continued to kiss her while I touched her like she's been wanting me to. I kept my hands above her clothes, but there was something funny going on about that. The one time I tried to slip a hand under her clothes, I couldn't. It was like her shirt was sealed against her body.

Her reaction only makes me want to do that for real. I can't wait until the Yule Holidays. It was the hottest thing!

While this sounds all great and wonderful, I haven't heard from her since. It's been five days and, except for a simple note saying she isn't mad at me and that she's very busy, I haven't heard from her at all. I can't help but think I've really messed things up. It's gotten so I can't think straight.

I think I'll go write another entry. Maybe this time she'll reply. The silence is killing me. What if I've scared her off? Merlin, I hope that isn't the case. In the meantime, there's a cold lead ball in my belly and this bad feeling I can't shake.


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Private Entry), Sept 27th 1996, Hogwarts...

Oh God what have I done?

The last time Harry and I met in bookspace, he did exactly as I asked him to. He showed me a little more of his passionate side and, in the process, gave me the best orgasm I've ever had. And he did it without once taking my clothes off or sliding his hands under my clothing! Sweet Merlin, if he can do that to me fully clothed, he'll kill me when I'm naked.

And I've gone and ruined everything!

He did what I wanted him to do. What no one has ever done for me before and it scared me. For eight days I put the journal away and tried to pretend it was just an aberration, just a mistake, but it wasn't. It took me eight days to figure out he did what I wanted him to do. He did what I want him to spend the rest of his life doing. I need him and I want desperately to do the same for him.

But I ignored the book for eight days, except for one small message I sent him the day after we met inside the book. Now there are twelve entries from him, each more apologetic and more frantic than the last. He must hate me now.

I'm going to end this and leave a quick entry to Harry to meet me in bookspace tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll notice the book signaling a new entry and will check it.


Bookspace September 28th 1996...

Hermione whirled when she heard the distinctive whistling of Harry's arrival. She was beyond nervous.

"Harry," she said breathlessly and lunged at him, pulling him into her arms.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, kissing his face over and over again.

He blinked at her in confusion. "What?" This was not the reception he had expected, although to be honest he wasn't sure what to expect.

She backed away a little, still holding him. "Will you let me explain?"

He nodded.

She released him and sat down, then motioned for him to join her on the floor. She frowned when he sat opposite her.

She sat cross legged and fiddled with her hands for a moment. "When we met last time, you surprised me. And because of that surprise, I treated you badly. I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I love you."

When she looked at him, he saw the tears in her eyes. Reaching out, he pulled her into his lap and held her tightly. "It's all right, Hermione," he whispered, not realizing that his easy forgiveness was only making her feel worse.

"No, it's not. I'm always talking about how we should keep talking and not hold back, and then I'm the one holding back."

He sighed and leaned back, placing his hands on her shoulders. "All right, enough of that. Instead of kicking yourself, why don't you just tell me why you ignored every entry I wrote? A quick word, a twenty minute note could have eased the anxiety of the last few days."

She nodded and looked down again. Her hands played with the edge of her shirt. She was silent for nearly a minute and Harry watched her intently.

"Last time we were here, you... you did something for me, something wonderful," she said softly, then she glanced up to see he wasn't understanding.

She sighed. "All right, I'll be blunt," she said, her face flaming. "You made me orgasm harder than I ever managed to do for myself. That... that scared me... and excited me. I needed time to think about what had happened. I needed time to figure it out."

He frowned and looked at her warily. "And what did you figure out?" The lead ball in his belly came roaring back.

"That I want to spend the rest of my life doing that with you and doing the same for you," she whispered, then she looked up at his surprised expression. "Does that make me a scarlet woman?"

He slowly grinned at her as he processed her words and the lead ball finally dissolved. "Only if you continue blushing like that," he replied, then he leaned closer, his mood changing again. "You scared me terribly. I thought you hated me." He knew they had to get past this point. He wanted to take her into his arms and repeat what he did the last time they were in bookspace, but he couldn't. Not yet. Not until they had worked this out.

She nodded and sniffled. "I know. I didn't mean for it to happen like that, it just did."

He touched her hand, slipping his fingers between hers. "It's all right. Next time, just leave me a message. No one likes being left out in the cold like that. It was a terrible feeling. It was like the world suddenly turned gray."

She looked at him intently. "You didn't say anything about what I said I wanted."

He grinned. "I didn't. What can I say when the girl I love, wants the same thing that I want? Do you have any idea how sexy you looked or how many times I dreamed of doing that for you? I wish this wasn't my N.E.W.T. year or I'd be in bookspace at every possible moment."

"So do I," she said quietly.

He pulled her hand close and kissed her wrist, sending a shudder shooting through her. "I'm still not going to push you, Hermione. Not in Bookspace and especially not in the real world," he said, then he grinned slyly. "At least not until our wedding night."

She looked at him in shock. "You want to wait for that?" she exclaimed.

He shook his head and she looked at him in confusion. "Do I want to wait for that? No. But I think that maybe we should. That doesn't mean we can't do other things. My parents married young and had me less than three years from graduation. I want to have a family, but I don't want to be a father right away. I want time to enjoy life with you before we think of having kids. And I certainly don't want to start that family before either of us graduate. I owe you and your parents that much."

She nodded, shocked voiceless for once. Her own feelings for Harry swelled as he spoke. She would have easily given him everything she had to offer, but he was willing to wait. He wanted to wait. She realized that his waiting only put one restriction on them and she smiled at him, then wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

Tonight, their time in bookspace was limited, but she intended to see he returned to normal space with a happy smile on his face.


St. Pancras, London, October 25th 1996...

Remus stepped from the entrance of the British Museum and turned to head towards King’s Cross. Thanks to Emma's help, he had been delving through the archive of papers from the mid sixties and he finally hit on a lead.

Several security guards were killed at the British Museum in early 1966, right around the time frame that they thought Voldemort would have used the brooch to make a Horcrux. At first, he ignored the lead when the article explained that nothing had been stolen. But Emma explained that the museum only displayed a small portion of what they owned.

Cross-referencing with another article revealed that the museum's feature attraction from that month included a rare cache of medieval artifacts from Scotland.

It's a long shot, he thought, but it's really beginning to look like something now. I have to hand it to Emma. Her idea sure looks like it's paying off. Good thing, too. I wasn't sure what to do next. Now to track down that Scottish collection and see if I can find an inventory of it, he mused.

So engrossed in his own thoughts he never noticed the figure that stepped in front of him until he walked right into her. He staggered backwards and fell on his rump, his papers scattering everywhere. He scrambled to gather all his materials together, then he glanced up at the person he bumped into.

"Terribly sorry," he said apologetically.

"You seemed rather distracted, Mr. Lupin," said a familiar voice.

He squinted and peered up at Tonks. "Well, I admit I wasn't looking where I was walking," he said sheepishly and Tonks chuckled.

"Normally, I'm the one accused of being clumsy," she replied with a rueful shake of her head, then she offered Remus a hand up. "What brings you back to sunny old England?" she asked.

Remus stood and glanced up at the overcast sky. "Sunny, eh? Well, I'm still working on that project for Evan."

They had explained to her why Harry was hiding and had explained that Voldemort had performed several rituals to ensure his immortality that they were working on unraveling. They hadn't explained the Horcruxes to her. An entry in Dumbledore's journal had mentioned a standing order of the Ministry that all Horcruxes were to be turned over to the Department of Mysteries for study, with no exceptions. They didn't want to risk their relationship with Tonks by putting her in violation of Ministry orders.

She nodded pleasantly. "I'm on my way to lunch. Would you like to join me?" She eyed him up and down with frank appreciation. He was dressed in a simple Muggle outfit, jeans and a shirt, but the physique of the werewolf was obvious.

He stared at her incredulously for a moment. "Lunch? I would be honored."

A short while later Remus found himself sitting across from Tonks in a cozy little Muggle pub. He watched the young woman with a bemused air. She was obviously hitting on him and it tickled his fancy. I can't allow this to continue, he thought sadly.

"I saw Sirius last week. He mentioned you were coming back to town and that you were trying to track something down," Tonks offered between bites of her fish and chips.

"Yes, but it's turning out to be devilishly difficult," he replied.

She watched him for a moment. "Hmm. So, what's the story with you three? I mean, there's Sirius, you and that Cindy. Is there some sort of kinky three way thing going on?"

Remus choked on his drink and grabbed for a napkin to clean up the mess. "No! Nothing like that. Cindy is Sirius' fiancée."

Tonks grinned. She'd already spoken to Cindy and knew of her relationship with Sirius, but it never hurt to double check. "So? There's no Mrs. Lupin wannabe out there for you?"

Remus looked at her hard and shook his head. "No. That isn't possible."

Tonks pulled her wand and cast a privacy charm. "Why not?" she asked bluntly. She eyed him with an open expression that disconcerted him.

He shifted uncomfortably on his chair. "You're rather pushy, aren't you?"

She shrugged. "Being blunt saves time. Do you have some sort of unspeakable disease or something?"

He paled tremendously and she immediately knew she had asked the wrong question. "I'm sorry," she blurted.

"There's no wife or the prospect of one," he said stiffly. "Here it would be illegal for a witch to marry me. In the Pacific, it would merely be dangerous and inconvenient."

She blinked and her eyes narrowed. The Ministry had few laws concerning personal relationships and only one that prohibited witches or wizards from marrying someone. It was illegal to marry someone who suffered from Lycanthropy, but that would mean...

He watched her, knowing that she was puzzling it out from the clues he gave her. Then she did something that shocked him to the core. She leaned across the table and took his hand.

"Not all of the laws here are right or make sense. The ones that aren't right should be ignored. Wasn't it a Muggle saint who said, 'An unjust law is no law'?"

"St. Augustine," he murmured, feeling suddenly exposed by the conversation. Even with Sirius and Harry they didn't talk about it very often. It just was, something always there, always present, always on the edge of things, nipping at his heels and taking his life in small bites. He was firmly convinced that he owed his very existence to Sirius and Harry, who had provided him with a stable family who cared about him and his condition. They gave him the support so many other werewolves lacked.

"So, when did it happen?"

He looked down and pushed his food around on his plate. He really didn't like talking about it, but something about this woman made him want to share. He looked at her hand holding his and made a decision.

"I was seven when I was bitten. My parents were shocked when I received my Hogwarts letter. At school I met Sirius and James and we became... well, a family of sorts. My parents died before I finished school. Sirius ran away from home. In the end, the Potters took us both in. When they were killed, we grieved as much as James did."

"And now you're helping Sirius raise Evan," she said softly.

"Evan is family," he said simply.

"And your problem?"

He shrugged. "We try to get Wolfsbane, but I lock myself up anyway. The quality of what we get isn't always the best. I had one batch that was a complete failure, something we brought in New Delhi. Cindy has been looking into make it for me. Her background as a Muggle doctor helps some. She's able to help ease some of the after effects of my transformations and I think she'll be able to brew the potion after a try or two."

She smiled at him. "I'd offer to make it, but I'm not good enough at potions. I did well enough to get into the Academy, but I'm no Master."

He stared at her with his mouth opening and closing.

She laughed. "You know, you're even cuter when you're flustered," she pointed out and he blushed heavily.

"Why are you doing this? I'm deadly every month," he protested.

She waved a hand at him, dismissing his complaint. "And I'm a bitch to be around for a week out of every month. We all have our little foibles. Besides, since I met you, you've treated me differently. It's hard to explain. You're interested in what I can do, but you're not interested in me turning into some actress or something. In fact, it's been just the opposite. You seem to want to get to know me, not what I can turn into."

He shook his head. "I'm not used to having women chase me," he murmured. "Until the problem with Harry and Sirius being exonerated, I couldn't even hold down a job. I wouldn't have one now, except that Sirius and Harry both insisted I accept a salary for all the running around I do."

She canceled the privacy charm around the table, then she stood and placed a few pound notes on the table, paying for her meal. "Get used to it, Mr. Remus Lupin. You interest me and your little problem doesn't scare me. Oh, I don't intend to jump you today, but someday soon..."

With a wink and a grin, she turned and walked out of the restaurant. All he could do was watch.

She's got a cute bum, he thought, bemused.


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Private Entry), Oct 28th 1996, Waivunu Fiji...

You know, I had thought that having King Kong out of action would be a good thing and I'd be able to relax. But no! It seems that Master Kwang wants me to work on my reaction times since he can't run me around the bloody island.

So what does he do? He sits on the porch, sipping the tea that Cindy gives him, resting his leg and shooting stinging hexes at me while I dodge them! The man is evil and must be destroyed! I swear he's enjoying my pain. That man is one of the fastest casters I have ever run across!

I got an owl from Eton the other day. I'm glad I no longer have to take his lessons, but for all of his gruff and mean attitude, he was a good teacher. Unfortunately, I've learned all I can from him. Occlumency is an ongoing thing that I'll probably never stop learning because it's different for everyone. But Legilimency was straight forward. There are only two types and they both use the same spell.

Anyway, he exhorted me to continue with my Occlumency studies and then his letter turned into a dissertation on the use of Legilimency in a fight. While it's officially banned by the International Dueling Association, he pointed out that, in a fight to the death, nothing is banned.

Basically he wants me to be aware of the potential of using Legilimency to read my opponent's moves, and also using it to confuse my opponent by distracting him.

Professor Murphy is my Defense and Transfiguration instructor this year and he agrees with Eton that it's a worthwhile technique to use in combat. But in our classes it's really out of place. I don't think I like having Murphy as my Defense instructor. A Master of Transfiguration, he gave me webbed feet last week in a middle of a duel and wouldn't change them back until the next day. I tried to correct the condition with my metamorph skills and I ended up with twelve toes! I really need to talk more with Tonks.

Sirius thought that was amusing, until I charmed his bunny slippers to bite him. I really cringe when Remus and Cindy are away. It leaves me to deal with Sirius, the big brother and prankster, without any backup.

Don't get me wrong. I love the man and I'd do anything for him. But sometimes I wonder which one of us is the adult and which one is the kid.

Hermione is... hot? Wonderful? Amazing? Merlin, I don't have the words for it. She's sort of agreed to my idea of taking things slowly, but at the same time, we've done some things in bookspace that have shocked me totally!

We discovered something interesting about bookspace. I cannot slip my hands under her clothes, nor can she slip hers under mine. But we have no problem slipping our hands under our own clothes. She's going to research it and see what she can find out. But it's really strange. It's like the books themselves are preventing things from getting out of hand.

I remember listening to guys like the Weasley twins talk about girls and what they do and I recall thinking how great it all sounded. I guess I'm just surprised that Hermione wants to do that sort of stuff. I mean, we haven't done more than just some serious touching through clothing, but I never imagined her wanting to do that, no matter what I'd dream.

It makes her... more real? I don't know. I just know that I've always been in a little awe of her. She's so smart and, well, perfect, in so many ways. And then I discover that she wants me, that she can be as horny as I can be? It's weird, but it makes me feel better about our relationship. I know she's a perfectionist, but she's not without her flaws.

Speaking of flaws, is this a girl thing? I mean, do we really need to talk about our feelings?

She got serious on me the last time we were in bookspace and she asked what my fantasies were. I don't think I've ever been so embarrassed before so I blurted out the tamest one I could think of and she stared at me in shock. I mean, I didn't know it would end up with us talking about my time at the Dursleys. Honestly, I thought the idea of us sleeping together and just holding each other was a great idea.

I finally admitted I had racier ideas, but that one was really high up on my list. She smiled at me with that soft, special smile of hers that makes my knees tremble and she promised she'd help me make that fantasy a reality soon.

I am not going to tell her about my fantasy of doing it under the teacher's table at Hogwarts in the middle of a feast, with only my invisibility cloak to conceal us. I mean, a guy has to keep some things to himself, right?

Our conversation about the Dursleys helped me a lot. It's hard for me to talk about them without getting really angry and frustrated. I've tried talking to Sirius and Remus about them, but they don't understand the frustration. They can't comprehend how hard I tried to make my Aunt and Uncle love me, or how painful it was every time they rejected me.

I told her about my scurrying around the house in Privet Drive, cleaning and cooking and gardening and doing things without being told. I told her about the pictures I drew of Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon when I was very little and how I wanted them to love me. And later, when that didn't work, how I would have settled for them just liking me. Ultimately, I just wanted them to not hate me anymore. In the end, no matter what I did, it wasn't good enough. I wasn't good enough!

Hermione didn't understand at first, but she does now. It's part of the reason why I still have trouble accepting love from others. I've gotten better, but it still surprises me and she can see that. She told me that I'll never be truly free from what the Dursleys did, but with time and help from people like her, the effects will lessen until they are barely visible to anyone, including me. I hope so.

N.E.W.T.s are insane. I don't know why Sirius agreed to King Kong's demand for that run. Since it was canceled, I've been doing two hours of homework a night and another three hours studying. I'm spending most of my weekends studying for them. I just hope I don't burn out like last year.


Daily Prophet Headline, Oct 31st 1996...

British Ministry Refutes Researcher's Claim

Olig Grossman, a researcher for the Munich Magical Academy, published a paper in Prophecy Quarterly in which he claims that the British Ministry had misinterpreted the events surrounding the Triwizard Tournament held at Hogwarts two years ago.

Grossman, age 47, a well known psychic and spoon bender, claimed that the Prophecy governing Harry Potter and Lord You-Know-Who would take precedence over a man-made, and invoked, magical contract.

Dr. Grossman, who moonlights running a Muggle psychic hotline, states, "Nonsense! A magical contract cannot interfere with destiny. It simply wouldn't be allowed."

Ministry spokesman Perky Weatherbee replied. "Our experts have examined the situation from every possible angle and have concluded that neither Harry Potter nor Lord Thingie have any magic left in them at all. This German nutcase hasn't a clue what he's talking about. I will remind your readers that Dr. Grossman is personally responsible for the great Muggle Spoon Bending incident of 1973 and served four years in Stuttgart Prison for his crime.

"No, Harry Potter is less than a Squib. That is certain. It's a shame it happened to such a fine upstanding wizard, but he made a great sacrifice for us and we will not listen to some foreigner making up stories about our heroes."

In all fairness, it must be pointed out to our readers that the Munich Magical Academy has been experiencing a drop in attendance over the years and this year they received only six new students.


Quibbler Headline, Oct 31st 1996...

Harry Potter to star in Voldemort, the Musical!

The Quibbler has learned that Harry Potter, fresh from his acting debut at the Cannes Film Festival, has signed on to the production of Voldemort, the Musical. In a move designed to highlight his acting ability, he signed on to play the pivotal part of Rubeus Hagrid.

When questioned about his part, and the fact that he is a mere four foot nine inches tall and the real Rubeus Hagrid stands at over twelve feet, Potter, age 16, is quoted as saying "Size doesn't matter. Hagrid had a big heart and I intend to portray that to the world. Would you like to pet my dragon?"

Professor Hagrid is famous for rescuing Mr. Potter from the Dursleys in his first year and for his efforts to bring enlightened Magical Animal Care to the students. He introduced students to the much maligned Blast-Ended Skrewts and they still talk about how so many students survived the class with the hungry Roc.

Renowned wizarding director, Armando, who brought us such classics as "I married a Snorkack" and "Lockheart, the Man", claims that the song and dance routine performed by Hagrid in the play will highlight Mr. Potter's acting talent like never before. After all, says Armando, "How many other times have you seen someone tap dance while juggling two hippogriffs and singing the Hogwarts song?"


Hogwarts Library, Oct 31st 1996...

"Aren't you going to the feast, Miss Granger?"

Hermione glanced up from her book to see Professor McGonagall standing next to the table where she sat. It was obvious from the pile of books and the neatly wrapped sandwich that she hadn't planned on joining the celebration.

"No, Professor. I have some studying to do, then I thought I would turn in early tonight."

McGonagall's lips compressed tightly and she motioned to one of the extra chairs at the table. "May I?"

"Please."

She sat stiffly in her chair. "I take it you keep in touch with your friend in the Pacific?"

"As much as I can, Professor. This is his N.E.W.T. year, so we rely mostly on letters."

McGonagall leaned a little closer and dropped her voice. "But you'll meet up with him tonight?"

Hermione nodded, surprised by her question.

"I'm not stupid, Miss Granger. I know how this holiday affects him and what it means to both of you. I should like you to pass my regards to him and my hope that he's doing well," she said, then she sighed. "I do confess that lad brought an element of excitement to the school that I now miss."

"I will tell him what you said, Professor," she said softly.

McGonagall nodded and stood. "Very well, Miss Granger. And do make sure you give him an extra hug. As happy as he seemed, I think he misses you most of all."

Hermione nodded numbly. McGonagall's attitude was very different from what she was used to.


Bookspace, Oct 31st 1996...

Hermione paced anxiously, waiting for Harry to show up. She didn't have long to wait, as the whistling announced his arrival not long after she'd entered. As soon as he appeared, she grabbed him in a tight hug and smiled to herself when he buried his head against her neck.

"Are you all right?" she whispered.

"Better than last year," he murmured against her neck.

She shivered, feeling his hot breath tickle her skin.

He pulled out her embrace enough to look at her. "Sirius and Remus spent most of the day making sure I was all right. I was ready to pull my hair out, but I understand why they were doing it. I can't really be angry with them for it. I don't think I'll have a repeat of last year. Besides, I have you here in my arms. How can I be lonely?"

She smiled softly. "But you know I'm not really here."

He released her and sat, then motioned for her to do the same. He spread his legs so she could sit between them, her back leaning up against him. He wrapped his arms around her. "Our bodies might not be here, but I think the most important part of us is," he whispered in her ear.

She shivered again. "What do you mean?"

"I've been speaking with my Charms tutor, Professor Peliote, about our books and she said that even if the books somehow linked our consciousness together, it would take our souls, as well. The books bring us together, and you cannot separate consciousness from the soul. The two are forever linked, or at least that's her theory. So, while our bodies aren't here, the best part of us is. The part that makes you, you."

She smiled, although he couldn't see it. "I'm impressed, Mr. Potter. That was an excellent explanation."

"Why thank you, Miss Granger."

"How are your studies really going?"

He had been lightly kissing her neck, and paused to think about his answer. "Exhausting, but not like last year. I think I've got things covered. It helps that the exams are staggered. By the time the last exam rolls around I'll have plenty of free time."

She frowned. "What do you mean?"

"My first N.E.W.T. is in Transfiguration in early February, Languages comes next at the end of February. I'll be finished with my exams and should know how I did by early June. It's a tougher schedule than your N.E.W.T.s, but that's what my tutors are pushing for. The bad news is, I'll be doing a lot of studying over the Christmas holiday. But I still expect to see you," he explained, then he took a deep breath and his voice dropped a register. "I need you to be with me this Christmas."

A rush shot through Hermione and she squirmed slightly in his arms before settling again. "That exam schedule seems both easier and tougher than what we go through. What will you do when it's all done?"

"I'm not sure. Probably spend a lot of time with you and your parents, if they are willing. I can't join Remus in the search until I turn seventeen, and I've already decided I won't join him until you've gone back to school. I hope your parents don't mind putting up with me during August."

She grinned. The idea of having Harry at her place all summer really appealed to her. "I'm sure they won't mind. They love you like I do."

He nodded, then he rested his chin on her shoulder. "You know you can get your Apparation license now, right?"

"I know. Professor McGonagall has announced that an examiner will be visiting the school before the Yule break to give the tests. What about you? Will you have to wait until you're seventeen, too?"

He chuckled and she could feel his chest vibrating against her back. "No. I've obtained an International license. With the distances between islands being what they are, the Pac Rim Ministry allows for a conditional license at thirteen and an unlimited at sixteen. The International is accepted by all the Ministries as being valid."

He paused for a moment, frowning. "Remus promised me that this summer he'll take me to see my parents. I've never been there before. If you have your license, maybe you could come with us?" he asked, sounding hopeful.

She nodded, afraid to say anything. She couldn't imagine being in his shoes and was happy that he wanted her there. She'd be happy to help in what she was sure would be an emotional moment for him.

"Professor McGonagall told me to say hello to you. I don't know how, but she seemed to know I would be talking to you today."

"It makes sense I guess. She knows what this day means to us."

Another thrill shot through her. "Us?" she gasped.

"Us," he replied firmly. "Remus told me this morning to focus on something positive about the day. What can be more positive than the day we became true friends?"

She smiled and pressed her arms into his, holding him tighter. "It's what I like best about that day," she replied.

"Even if Ron turned out to be a git," Harry added with a chuckle.

"He's finally settling down. Did I tell you about him and Hannah Abbott?"

"You mentioned him studying."

"He's doing more than just reading his books. He's been doing homework! All right, I know it's mean of me, but he's doing his homework. And we're talking again. Not like we used to when we weren't fighting, but at least we're not shouting at each other in the Common Room."

Harry shook his head. She was describing a Ron that defied imagination. "So you're getting along better with him now?"

"We're not close friends like we used to be. I don't think that will happen again, but it's a lot better. I'm not sure why, but since he started seeing Hannah, he's changed."

He nodded and stayed silent for a moment. An idea occurred to him but he wasn't sure if he should voice it or not. Unfortunately, she sensed his increased tension.

"What is it?"

"Remember when I suggested that he liked you?"

"Yes," she replied reluctantly.

"Well, this summer he learned that he can't have you."

Hermione frowned. "You're making me sound like a piece of beef you'd buy at the store."

He shook his head and grinned to himself. "You're looking at this all wrong. Think about it this way. He fancied you, and probably wanted you for himself. That doesn't mean he considered you as some sort of commodity."

"But..."

"Hermione, I want you. Does that mean I'm turning you into some sort of object?"

"No, but that's different. We're in love!" she protested.

"And at one point, he probably thought he was, also," Harry said softly.

Her mouth snapped shut as she suddenly realized the point he was trying to make.

"So what do I do?"

"Be as much of a friend as you feel comfortable with. Other than that, there's nothing for you to do. He's moved on and the girl seems to be good for him."

She looked over her shoulder and smiled at him. "You're getting awful smart back there. If you keep this up, you'll not need me around anymore."

His embrace tightened around her and he leaned his head against hers. "I'll always need you. I'll need you today, tomorrow and a hundred years from now," he whispered fiercely.

She blinked rapidly, unable to prevent the tears that came.

Harry lifted on arm and glanced at his watch.

Hermione frowned, seeing the timepiece. "Harry, how did you manage to bring your watch into bookspace? I thought only the clothes we were wearing could enter."

He stared at his watch for a moment, unsure. He had been wearing it when he entered bookspace. He hadn't done anything special, it just came with him. "I don't know," he said uncertainly. "I was just wearing it and it came with me."

She turned around to face him and his arms dropped away. "All right, if you didn't do anything in particular, then something else has changed. What could it be?"

"Changed? Well, you're of age and this is the first time I wore the watch trying to enter bookspace?"

He fingered his ring finger. "I can feel my ring!" he exclaimed. The ring was hidden, but it had never entered bookspace with him before.

She reached for her own ring and smiled when she felt it on her finger. Holding up a hand, she laughed when a small bluebell flame appeared, hovering over her palm. Canceling the spell, she looked at him. "What does it mean?"

Harry shrugged. "Didn't Sirius say that more features would become available in the books as we got older? Maybe this is one of them."

Hermione stood and began to pace, deep in thought.

He glanced at his watch and stood up, then moved to stand in front of her, catching her by the shoulders. "We're nearly out of time. But I need to thank you for just letting me hold you today. I needed that. It's a good memory," he said with a smile, then he pulled her close and kissed her.

She broke the kiss a moment later. "But what about..."

He grinned and leaned closer to her. "Mysteries another time. Love now," he whispered.

Laughing, she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. They might be running out of time, but she'd give him a memory to remember!


Gryffindor Common Room, November 15th 1996...

Lavender watched carefully from her prepared position. It hadn't taken much, really. A few promises she had no plans of keeping, some judicious hugs to entice the boy, and he was her willing tool. She had set him on Hermione a while back and had been carefully egging him on since.

She watched from her seat in front of the fireplace. The bookworm sat at a corner table, studiously working on her homework. She never even glanced up when Cormac McLaggen sat down next to her.

With a simple twist of her wand, Lavender could hear their conversation. Cormac was supposed to flirt with Hermione, maybe get her attention enough to cause her to break up with that guy, Evan, she was so hung up on. Then he was supposed to dump her, publicly.

Lavender had carefully worded her promise to Cormac. If he could get Hermione to drop Evan for him, she'd go all the way with him. Of course, he didn't need to know that for her, "all the way" didn't even come close to what he thought it meant. On the other hand, she was perfectly happy with the idea of him taking her all the way to Hogsmeade. The idea that a seventh year would do anything for her favor gave her a sense of power that she found intoxicating.

"Hermione, isn't it?" Cormac asked.

"Yes, that's right," she answered distractedly as she finished jotting down a few notes.

When she looked up to see who was speaking, her expression darkened. McLaggen had been shadowing her footsteps for the past two weeks and it was bothering her. He hadn't spoken with her yet, but he had a tendency to turn up where she was, watching her. She was finding the whole thing rather creepy.

Cormac McLaggen had a reputation for thinking he was Merlin's gift to women. The seventh years knew this and steered clear of him. As a result, he tended to prey upon the younger girls.

"I'm told you're really good with Potions. Do you think you could help me?"

Excellent, Lavender crowed. If there's one thing the bookworm can't turn down, it's an appeal to show off her intelligence.

Hermione frowned. "I'd like to help, but I'm really rather busy with my own homework." For the first time since he left, she actually wished Harry was here to help her.

He leaned closer to her. "Are you sure? I could really use some help and I'm sure you would enjoy it," he said, smiling handsomely at her.

She leaned back, feeling distinctly threatened by his invasion of her space. "No. I'm sorry but I can't help you."

McLaggen reached out to grab her wrist. She evaded his grasp easily, but he wasn't quick enough. She grabbed his hand and twisted it sharply. He screeched and jumped away from her, holding his injured hand.

Hermione stood and a hush fell upon the Common Room as all eyes turned toward the pair. "I said no, McLaggen, and groping me is not the way to go about getting the help you claim you need."

McLaggen grimaced and shook his hand. It was numb and unresponsive. Hermione's physical training hadn't been extensive, but Harry had taught her a few simple pressure points that could immobilize an attacker long enough for her to get away, or in this case, to make her point.

He realized that this little slip of a girl was making him look foolish and decided to do something about it. He reached for his wand, then stopped when he understood that he had several wands pointed at him.

"Do it, and Filch will be mopping you up for weeks," Ron growled angrily. Hermione was his friend, and that was good enough for him.

Hermione shot him a grateful look. Besides Ron, Ginny and Neville also held McLaggen at wand-point.

"This isn't over," he snarled.

"Detention with Filch tonight for assaulting a Prefect," snapped Hermione. "And if you touch me again, I'll see you need Madam Pomfrey's assistance."

Lavender scowled. This not only hadn't gone the way she expected, but when had the bookworm grown teeth? She had been the brains behind the golden trio, not the brawn! But she had clearly just shown that she had the ability, and the will, to defend herself. Her boyfriend, Evan, must be influencing more than just her desire to look pretty.

Dammit! Lavender snarled silently. I'll have to try something else. The bookworm is not going to get the best of me!

Across the room, Ginny had grabbed Hermione and dragged her over towards Ron and Neville, who watched her with a measure of sympathy.

"What's with you, Hermione? You've never threatened anyone before!" hissed Ginny.

"You missed her punching the ferret in third year," Ron said with fond remembrance. "It was wonderful."

Hermione crossed her arms and shivered slightly. "I know, Ginny, but that slimy git has been following me around for the past two weeks. I keep running into him and the looks he gives me." She shuddered. "I always feel like I need to bathe after running into him!"

Brushing the hair off her shoulder, she looked at Ron. "Thank you."

He waved it away. "That's not necessary, Hermione. I've been an idiot and cost us a friendship. Hannah helped me see that. We may never have what we once did, when Harry was here... But I'd still like to be your friend."

Hermione smiled. "I'd like that."

Ginny looked between the two, grinning. Her relationship with Hermione had recently been a bit strained because of her fight with Ron.

Neville scooted over at the table, making room for Hermione. She waved her wand, summoning her books and book bag from the other table before sitting down.

Ginny lifted one eyebrow and sat next to her. That wasn't the right movement for the Accio spell, she thought to herself. And when did Hermione learn silent casting? I'm going to see about having a talk with her. I think Evan is teaching her more than she's telling anyone.


Scottish Museum Council, Edinburgh, Scotland, Nov 20th 1996...

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lupin, but I'm not allowed to give that information out to just..."

The burly woman stopped and stared at the tall blonde who entered the office. The blonde opened a small wallet and handed it to her, effectively pushing Remus aside. The woman glanced down at the wallet and, seeing the badge and photo ID, she paled.

"How can I help you, Inspector Tonks?" she asked meekly. She did not want to invoke the ire of MI5.

"You can give Professor Lupin the information he needs," Tonks said brusquely. "He's a consulting expert working with us on a case involving the trafficking of stolen medieval objects after they have been replaced by clever forgeries. He's only trying to insure that your inventory remains untainted."

The woman gaped for a moment. "Professor? I wasn't aware... Yes, yes of course. Professor, you do realize that we've moved the entire listing to compact disc?"

Remus, who had been fighting with the woman for nearly two hours before Tonks showed up, nodded eagerly. He didn't care if the stuff was on compact discs or carved on stone tablets. He'd take what he could get and figure out how to read them later! It hadn't occurred to him that she might respond better if he called himself Professor.

The woman stood and walked to a large walk in cupboard. She came out a few moments later carrying a large box, which she placed on the counter. "Should I bill your department directly, Inspector?" she asked Tonks.

Tonks winced. That would make Remus' search official.

"That's not necessary," Remus said. "Bill my office, please. This is rightfully considered part of my job, not hers."

Remus pulled out a business card listing his name and a Cambridge office. Sirius had set him up last year as a researcher attached to the university, even though the office wasn't on campus. It was a Muggle identification he hadn't used before today and he had been shocked at how easily it opened the door for him.

The woman looked at it and nodded. "Of course, Professor. If I had only known..."

Remus dismissed her comments with a wave. "It is of no moment. If everything is satisfactory, I'll take the discs and be on my way?"

The woman glanced at the large box, then nodded. His card had listed him as a member of the faculty at Cambridge, and they already had a long standing relationship with the school. Billing them would be no problem.

"Yes, please," she said, pushing the large box towards him. "This contains the latest results of our national audit. Over one hundred discs listing over twelve million objects along with their photos and known histories. There is a booklet at the bottom which describes, in detail, the optimal configuration PC needed to access this and it explains the retrieval software that is included on the disc labeled Disc Zero."

Remus nodded. He didn't understand most of what she was saying, but he knew someone who would. He picked up the heavy box, surprised at its weight, then he turned to Tonks.

"If you would get the door, Inspector?"

Tonks nodded affably to the woman and walked to the door, holding it open for Remus.

Outside the building, Remus placed the box down and looked around before casting a featherlight charm on it.

"So, will this have what you're looking for?" Tonks asked as she glanced around.

Raking a hand through his hair, Remus sighed. "I've no idea. I hope so."

"You know, if you and Sirius could tell me what you're looking for, I might be able to help you. The days of the inept Fudge Ministry or the suck up Scrimgeour Ministry are over," Tonks offered.

Remus frowned and thought furiously. He was in favor of telling her; it was Sirius who was playing the cautious one for once. "I don't know. How about we talk about it?" he replied.

She looked at him for a moment, then nodded.

Holding the box under one arm, he fished a small rabbit's foot from his pocket. "A Portkey," he told her as he held it out to her.

She reached out and touched it with a finger.

"Marauder's Haven," Remus said firmly.

The Portkey activated and they vanished from sight.

A few seconds later they appeared in the foyer of Sirius' London home. He walked into the sitting room with Tonks following then he put the box of discs on the table and motioned for her to sit down.

"Where are we?" she asked, sitting on the couch.

Remus took the opposite end of the couch and turned to face her. "This is Sirius' London home, Grimmauld Place."

Tonks nodded. "Mum's spoken about this place, but she described as looking like a mausoleum."

"It did," Remus replied with a chuckle. "But then Harry talked Sirius into hiring an elf who helped clean up the place. He got rid of the old family elf, who had turned into a psychotic menace."

Remus looked around for a moment at the much improved house. A moment later, Dobby appeared and placed a tray on the table with tea and some bottles of butterbeer.

"Tea?" he asked.

She nodded and accepted a cup from him. "So what did you need to talk about?"

"You know what we're trying to do. But the problem is there is a longstanding Ministry directive that we've already violated four times. Do you think you could work on something, knowing you will be violating a Ministry directive?" he asked.

She placed the cup on the table and looked at him for a moment. "A directive? Not a law?"

"A directive. Specifically, a directive of the Department of Mysteries requiring all items of a specific nature be turned over to them for study."

She frowned. "And this has to do with Voldemort? It's related to how he could return?"

He nodded. "If it helps, think of these objects as cursed objects. In fact, one nearly killed an eleven year old girl in Hogwarts only a few years back."

She blinked and stared at him.

"Yes, they're that dangerous," he replied to her unspoken question.

"I never heard that particular story. What happened?"

Remus leaned back in his chair. "Back in Harry's second year, the Chamber of Secrets was opened and Muggle-born students were being attacked. It turned out that one of these objects had taken over a first year girl and was using her to control the beast within the chamber.

"Harry confronted the beast and killed it. In the process he rescued the girl and destroyed the beast and the artifact. He nearly got himself killed doing it."

"How come I never heard of this? It wasn't in the papers," Tonks said in protest.

"No, it wasn't. According to Dumbledore's journals, he hushed up the scandal as much as he could. It seriously eroded support for him in the Wizengamot. We suspect that Dumbledore covered it up to protect himself and to keep from drawing attention to Harry. He didn't want people suddenly looking into Harry's home life."

Tonks frowned. "Does the Department of Mysteries understand the danger?"

"They don't understand because Dumbledore and Voldemort have kept it secret. The Department wants the objects to study because they are unique; created from a black arts ritual. To them, they’re a name with a very shallow and poorly worded description."

"And if they study them, they could somehow trigger the object into resurrecting Voldemort again?"

When he nodded, her frown deepened. She stood and paced for a bit while Remus watched. Her hair cycled continuously through a rainbow of colors and styles and she muttered softly to herself. Finally, she stopped and plopped down on the couch exactly where she had been only moments before. "Right then, where do I sign up?"

He blinked and looked at her in astonishment.

She shook her head. "Remus, I don't know you as well as I would like and I know my cousin and Harry even less. But I think I know all three of you well enough to know you didn't pull off this little charade of yours just for a lark. I've watched Harry train. He's training at Hit Wizard levels and studying like Beelzebub himself was out for his hide. I don't always agree with what the Ministry does, either. My take on the werewolf laws are a prime example of their short-sightedness."

She paused and took a deep breath.

Remus couldn't help notice her shirt rise and he tore his eyes away from the sight.

"If there are objects that could result in the return of Voldemort, then they need to be destroyed, not studied."

She stopped and waited for his reaction. She caught his look when she breathed deeply and crowed inwardly. Doesn't he have any idea how drop dead sexy he is? she thought.

"That was our thought, as well. However, destroying them was more difficult than we first thought. We finally had to enlist the aid of the Americans and an industrial blast furnace to destroy them."

"How many of these things are there?"

"Six, and Voldemort himself. It's called a Horcrux and it's receptacle for a piece of his soul. The creation of each Horcrux requires a murder," Remus replied softly.

"So, there are now two objects and Voldemort himself somewhere?"

"No. We think that destroying the first one, a locket once owned by Slytherin, might have kicked him out of the magical construct he was using. Given the fact that he needed to be close to Nagini to keep that construct alive, we think he was forced to merge with the Horcrux in Nagini."

"Nagini?"

Remus shook his head. "I'm sorry. Nagini is his familiar. It's a very large, very venomous snake. We think there's something inside the snake that's a Horcrux."

She nodded thoughtfully. "And the purpose of today's trip to the museum council?"

He leaned back on the couch and sipped his tea for a moment. "The other item we're looking for is a brooch which we believe belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw. Emma, Hermione's Mum, you've met her, she gave me the idea that the brooch might have slipped into the Muggle world."

She looked at him incredulously. "And you believe that? So little of our world falls into Muggle hands."

"If that were the case, then there would be no need for Arthur Weasley's department, would there? Besides, I've found enough evidence to suggest that Emma might have been right about the brooch. According to our notes, the brooch would have been turned into a Horcrux sometime between 1965 and 1967.

"I've found Muggle newspapers describing a break in at the British Museum that resulted in the deaths of several security guards. The strange part is, nothing was reported stolen. And during that time frame, there was an exhibit that featured Scottish Medieval artifacts from the ninth through twelfth centuries."

She frowned. "It's a mighty slim lead."

He shrugged. "It's the only lead I have at the moment. The last trace of the brooch I've been able to find is roughly a century old. From there, it vanished."

"So, how can I help?"

"You've been trained in investigative techniques?"

She nodded.

"I suppose you can help by double-checking what I've already done, then. I have this stuff," he said, pointing to the box of discs, "to go through and that's not going to be easy. Believe me when I say the help you provided today was invaluable. She wasn't going to give me that inventory."

"After you find the brooch and destroy it, how will you find the snake?"

Remus grinned. "We have an idea that the snake might be making its way to Hogwarts, but that's not certain. Harry has a plan of tracking her down, using the snakes in Britain."

She blinked at him in surprise. "How is that possible?"

Remus shrugged. "Ask him yourself, next time you see him. It's his idea. He should be the one to tell you about it."

"All right, I'm in. But I do have one question. What did you do to Rita Skeeter?"

"Skeeter? You mean that reporter woman?" he asked.

She nodded.

Remus frowned. "We didn't do anything to her. I've never even met her. Why?"

"That's weird. She claimed she was on a job in Oxford, investigating a story, when she was attacked. I automatically assumed you or Sirius had a hand in it."

"Can't she tell you about the attack?"

She shook her head. "No. We found out weeks after the attack when she showed up in St. Mungo's, badly injured. She says she can't remember a thing about what she was investigating or why. She doesn't remember the attack at all. We found she had been sent to a Muggle hospital with severe burns on August 1st."

"We were in Fiji by then. Whomever attacked her had nothing to do with us," Remus stated firmly.

Tonks nodded and gave a sigh of relief. She didn't think they were involved, but she had needed to make sure.

"Was she hurt badly?"

"Yeah. She's out of the reporter business, I'm afraid. Stone deaf now and the healers can do nothing to help with the scarring," Tonks replied.

"It wasn't us, Tonks," Remus stated firmly.

She reached over and patted his hand. "Don't worry, I believe you."


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Private Entry), Nov 25th 1996, Hogwarts...

We've figured out what's going on with bookspace!

Since I am of age now in Britain, and Harry is of age for the Pac Rim Ministry, the books are allowing us to bring objects into bookspace and allowing us to use magic. It came as a surprise to us both, but he spoke with Professor Peliote, who knew someone whose family was involved in developing these books over a century ago.

As we get older, more and more functions become available to us. It's a very good thing that Harry and I haven't tried to make love yet. We would have been kicked out of bookspace if we tried while we were underage. It still won't let us do that, not for another year for me and two for Harry. We both have to be eighteen for that to be allowed.

As it stands, the books are allowing us to... Well, Ginny would call it a really brilliant broom closet session. Unfortunately, clothing is still mandatory. I don't know whether to be pleased by that or not, but I'm thinking not.

Listen to me! I swear I sound more and more like Lavender and Parvati every day. Oh, I still love my books and love to study, but I'd also love to study every square inch of him without his clothing still in place.

Maybe it's better this way. I want Harry and he wants me. We both know it and we both know it's too soon. The book is forcing us to slow down and talk more with each other.

Speaking of talking. The Dursleys! Curse them! I hate them! If I had my way they would be punished severely for what they did to Harry.

We were talking and our conversations in bookspace have gotten quite risque and frank. I told him about one of my biggest fantasies and he looked totally mortified. After he got over his shock, he finally revealed one concerning his invisibility cloak and the Head table in the Great Hall that had me blushing like crazy. His idea really turned me on, but it wasn't to last.

The problem was afterwards he was convinced I would consider him a twisted pervert.

Making him understand that he's not a pervert and that he is worthy of being loved is going to be my mission in life. He's had so many years of people telling him he's worthless and not worthy of being loved that he believes it deep down.

We've talked frankly about his time with the Dursleys and he's gotten so he doesn't get all tense and upset when discussing them with me. It still boggles my mind how anyone could treat family in that manner.

I told Harry about McLaggen and Ron. He's ecstatic about Ron. I think he misses his friend, even if he was exasperated with him so much of the time. I'd like to see them get together again myself. I miss the camaraderie we once had.

As far as McLaggen goes, Harry was angry. I wanted to know why McLaggen suddenly came on to me and Harry looked at me like I was crazy.

"Don't you know?" he said.

"Know what?" I replied.

"Hermione, you're gorgeous! You have a body that probably fuels the fantasies of every boy third year and up!" he exclaimed, then he looked at me with that sultry look of his that gets me all hot. "And you're mine," he said with a low growl.

Honestly, I am going to have to have a talk with that boy! One moment we're talking about something serious and the next he's got me panting and wishing I could peel off his clothing. How does he do that to me?

I suppose I should be grateful that I'm the only one he does that to. And that, my dear journal, still surprises me. He thinks I'm beautiful! I'd tell him to get his glasses checked, but he doesn't need glasses anymore!

On the Hogwarts front, McLaggen has backed off. I find that whenever we're in the same room together, there are always a bunch of sixth and fifth year students between us. I think Neville and Ginny have something to do with that.

And while I feel safe from McLaggen, I'm still feeling uneasy. The other day I came up to my bed and things were out of place. Evan's photo was in the wrong spot and Crooks looked like he was most put out.

I'm starting to get nervous about it because that says it's probably a girl who's been rifling through my stuff. I'll talk to Harry next bookspace slot we get. He said to remind him to show me more pressure points.


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Transmitted Entry), Dec 5th 1996, Waivunu Fiji...

Dear Hermione,
As usual, you were right. Bookspace time is becoming harder and harder to use, thanks to my upcoming
N.E.W.T.s. Fortunately, that will slowly go away as I finish them. In the meantime, we'll do what you suggested and use the books for mundane conversation and save the important stuff for when we're together.

And for all that, I miss you. Three bookspace sessions last month was not enough. And if that isn't bad enough, next year we have to do it all over again when you're studying for your N.E.W.T.s!

We can do this. I know we can. I promise you I will do my best to be available anytime you want bookspace time next year.

Transfiguration is becoming a real bear. One of the big differences between the British system and Pac Rim is that they expect you to be knowledgeable in at least one form of Muggle technology and be capable of transfiguring a working copy of something. You can't transfigure anything electronic, but some simple electric things or mechanical machines are fine.

Most of the students in the Pac Rim tend to pick useful topics, like knowing how to transfigure stuff they'll need to live, like fishing poles and reels, small boats or tools. Sirius and Remus thought that was a great idea and Sirius wanted me to try to understand the automobile. I told him to sod off, that no one could learn it that well without years of study. Instead, I opted to learn about bicycles. Next year I'll be looking for Nagini and making a form of transportation would be useful.

Public transportation works between towns and cities, but there's no British Rail to Hogsmeade or Hogwarts. And yes, I know I can Apparate to those places, but if I have to go off the beaten track, I'll be able to do something about it. Besides, a bicycle makes for an enjoyable way of getting around.

To that end I've been studying one basic design and the modifications needed to change it from a street bicycle to an off-road bicycle. I was ecstatic yesterday when I finally got it right. I'm extremely thankful that you showed me how to ride one two summers ago.

Now, if only you had told me not to ride it in sand, I wouldn't look like someone took sandpaper to my forehead.

Charms is getting very difficult. I don't have problems casting, but Professor Peliote is covering a lot of theory and I've had to learn more than a smattering of Arithmancy in order to keep up with her. She wants me to take the advanced Charms N.E.W.T., not the standard Charms N.E.W.T. I'm making headway, but sometimes it feels like I'm running up a very steep hill. My math skills aren't very good, so I end up triple checking everything.

Defense is also a problem, but of a different type. We apparate to a small island not far away; you know the one, we've gone to it for picnics before. Professor Murphy has had to switch over to using Golems for dueling practices. Some of my spells are blasting through his shields and I nearly killed him with a simple bludgeoning hex three weeks ago.

On the downside, Master Kwang is back in business, or as I like to say, King Kong is swinging from his tree again. At least he can't pull the run-around-the-island idea anymore. He's actually using me to help him get his leg back into shape, which you can read as: he's running me into the ground, then jumping on my aching corpse.

Christmas is coming and I'm looking forward to seeing and holding you. Don't get me wrong, we hold each other in bookspace and we could probably one day even make love there. But we both know we're not really there.

Your Mum stopped by the other day to have tea with Cindy. They are planning for the wedding, which I'm sure you've heard about. In case no one's told you, it's this coming summer. Your Mum also mentioned that she's seen Remus getting very chummy with Tonks. I think that's just great. Remus needs someone. If Tonks can be that someone for him, I'm all for it.

Speaking of Tonks, she and I watched an old Star Trek show on the telly two weeks ago, then spent an hour figuring out how to give us Vulcan ears. Sirius is already planning a UFO prank, but I'm not sure I can pull it off without laughing.

I'm making a lot of progress with my Metamorphmagus skills but I don't think I'll ever be as good as Tonks is. I can change body parts now, like the ears, and we've experimented with other things, like webbed feet and hands to help while swimming. But it takes me nearly a full minute to do what Tonks does in seconds. I hope I'll get better, but we'll have to see.

We'll be together soon, so I'm going to sign off for now.

Love,
Harry


Motherwell, Scotland, East of Glasgow, Dec 5th 1996...

Nagini heaved a sigh of relief. For the first time in nearly a week she felt safe again. She was holed up in a old barn. The trip was taking a lot longer than she had expected and she still had nearly sixty miles to go.

Earlier last week she had slithered into the barn of a farmer a few miles south of her current location. She had been looking for a warm place to winter in. The farmer had a huge compost pile that was nice and toasty, if a bit fragrant. Warmth, however, was the key thing.

Comfortable, she curled up to begin her long winter's sleep when a noise roused her back to consciousness. She looked up to see a dog barking like mad at her. Nearby, she could hear the sound of a human making questioning noises at the dog.

When the farmer appeared around the pile, he had gasped and stepped back, while she reared up her head, getting ready to strike. The man whistled loudly and dogs, nearly a dozen of them, had come running into the barn.

The resulting battle lasted nearly twenty minutes before the farmer and most of the dogs were dead, but the damage had been done. Nagini had received multiple bites and a two foot section had been lopped off her tail by the farmer's shovel.

Wounded and in considerable pain, she had slithered from the farm, but she couldn't go far. Finally, she found an abandoned farm building several miles north of where she'd had her fight with the farmer and his dogs.

She was curled up in a patch of bright sunlight, but could slither underground in a moment's notice. Safety had become a real issue, as it would take weeks for her to heal and recover from the fight. There was also the pressing imperative to hibernate. The trip was taking far longer than she thought it would have and several times she'd tried to give up altogether. A voice in the back of her mind exhorted her to continue, however, so she had pressed on. She tried to ignore the voice, but she couldn't always succeed.

When the air began to cool, she returned to her burrow. Curling up, she took comfort in the soft rustle of her scales and began her long healing sleep. There was plenty of time, after all. Despite the voice, there really was no rush to go north.


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Transmitted Entry), Dec 6th 1996, Hogwarts...

Dear Harry,
Honestly, you can blame me for some things, but I fail to see how you can blame me for your attempt to ride a bicycle on sand. What were you thinking?

Still, I think your idea for the bicycle is a good one. I tried to explain the concept to Professor Lawton and she looked at me like I was crazy. She couldn't see the purpose of being able to transfigure something Muggle-made that actually worked.

I think it would be a lot harder to do here, with all the latent magic in the castle. I have an idea, but before I can try it out I need to talk to my dad about it. He knows about such things and he can probably help. In the meantime, I like the idea so I'm going to introduce it to our study group and see what they think of it.

If you happen to transfigure a spare bicycle, we can do a little traveling around Waivunu when I get there.

Mum has asked me to tell you that she expects you to come to our house on the 20th. We have a family Christmas party on the 21st and she says that it's time that I bring my boyfriend to meet the family. After the party, we'll all take the portal to Fiji, or take it the next day.

I know you're going to be nervous about meeting my family, but I'll be there with you. They don't know I'm a witch, so watch what you say. I think Mum's right, though. We've been going together for two years and we've talked about staying together after graduation. I won't say the M word, but we're getting close to talking about it, especially after that last conversation we had in bookspace concerning the number of children we wanted.

And you have no idea how grateful I was when I heard you didn't want a Weasley sized family!

One word about my family. For the most part, they're all right, but I have a cousin who's a cross between Lavender and Padma. Smart, pretty and used to getting her way. If anyone is likely to trip you up, it would be Frances.

I've had to charm my book with several more spells. Someone has been trying to break into my trunk and this book is the only thing I can think of that would be worth trying to get at. I don't have a lot of expensive, fancy jewelry or clothes in my trunk, no real valuables except for the book and your picture. If this keeps up, I am going to send the photo to my Mum for safekeeping, and place a nasty hex on the book to prevent anyone from touching it.

I've alerted Lawton to the problem and she didn't seem all that bothered, so I went to McGonagall and she gave me permission to ward the book with a nasty hex. I don't like it, I feel like someone is watching me all the time now.

McGonagall is becoming dissatisfied with Lawton, who doesn't seem all that interested in being the Head of House. She's a good teacher, but in some ways even more set in her ways than McGonagall, despite the fact that McGonagall has nearly forty years on her. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new Transfiguration Professor next year. Or a new Head of House. I just hope it's not Hagrid.

I thought I'd fill you in on some other news. As you're aware, the Ferret never returned to school this year and for the longest time all anyone knew were rumors. It turns out that Umbridge did more damage to him than originally expected. His mother sold their manor house and their seat on the Wizengamot in order to pay for Draco being admitted to St. Mungo's long term care ward. They say he screams like a Banshee every time he sees someone wearing something pink. I think they did more damage when they removed his memory blocks than if they had left them in place.

Unless, by some miracle, Umbridge turns up alive and pregnant, the Malfoy line has effectively died out. His father is in jail and his mother has vanished. Draco's a wreck, from what we've been told, and it's unlikely he'll recover. I never liked him, but I think he would have been better off being killed than consigned to the wards of St. Mungo's for the rest of his life.

That leaves Pansy as queen of the Slytherin roost and while she does rule there, she's been largely unable to terrorize the school as effectively as Draco did. She's tried a few times, but without Snape backing up Slytherin and Dumbledore blindly agreeing to everything, they've been soundly smacked down on several occasions.

Pansy had several of her goons, including Crabbe and Goyle, try to mess with several third year Hufflepuffs. It wasn't pretty. Five fourth year Gryffindors and three Ravenclaws from sixth year jumped into the fight, then more Gryffindors showed up. By the time it was over, six Slytherins were in the infirmary along with one Hufflepuff. Professor McGonagall called in Aurors, who used Veritaserum and a Pensieve to figure out who did what. The result was five Slytherins expelled, Pansy was sent home for a two week suspension and she's got six months of detention. She also lost her Prefects badge.

It's a far cry from what used to pass for discipline in this school. I just hate how it got to this point because it ended up costing me my best friend.

I've got to close now. I'm not sure if we'll have a bookspace session anytime between now and when I get to see you, but I'm glad you're coming to Oxford. I miss you and wish you were here.

All my love,
Hermione.


Hermione's House, Oxford, England, Dec 19th 1996...

Emma had all her office papers strewn about the kitchen table. She was trying to upgrade their accounting system and the old system just didn't have enough information, so she was trying to find what she needed from the old paper records.

She looked up when the door to the car port opened and Cindy and Sirius stepped through.

"Well, this is a pleasant surprise," she said as she stood up to put on a pot of tea.

"We're just passing through. There's a lot to do," Cindy said.

Emma frowned. She could have sworn Remus had passed through, going up to Scotland two days ago. "Who's watching Harry?"

"Harry is watching Harry. After all, he's coming here tomorrow. We asked if he wanted to tag along with us, but he declined. He wants to see Hermione, but I think he's suffering from a bit of Granger induced confusion," Sirius offered with a shrug.

Emma narrowed her eyes and glared at him. "Just what is that supposed to mean, Sirius Black?"

Sirius sat at the table and looked up at her with an unrepentant grin. "It's like this, Emma. He wanted to come early because that meant more time with Hermione. But he also wants to do well on his N.E.W.T.s because he wants her to be proud of him. He's trying to balance seeing his girlfriend versus pleasing her by proving he's as smart as she is. So, instead of coming here a day early and snogging Hermione, he's home studying."

"Siri," Cindy chided. "You know that isn't the only reason." She smiled at Emma. "Harry wouldn't dream of coming here early. You offered an invitation that started on the 20th and that's when he'll arrive. As often as he's been told, we're still dealing with what he learned from the Dursleys. It's hard for him to break those habits and he just doesn't think he'd be welcome if he showed up unexpectedly."

"That's absurd!" announced Hermione from the doorway. She had been home from school for exactly two days now and she had been champing at the bit to see Harry.

Cindy turned and acknowledged Hermione's comment. "It is, sweetheart, but that's the way he is. He talks to you more than the rest of us about his past, so you know how he feels. Honestly, we don't know how lucky we are. Harry has some issues, but the reality of badly abused children is such that it could have been so much worse. The physical abuse was fairly minor and he wasn't sexually molested. Emotionally, he still has trouble with the idea that people would want him around. He places more importance on the happiness of others than he does his own.

"He's gotten a lot better. But like I've said before, habits formed early are the hardest to break."

Hermione looked at Emma and, well, whined. "Muummm," she said.

Emma shook her head. "Go, help him pack. But I expect you back in two hours, young lady."

Hermione grinned and was gone out the door before her mother finished speaking.

Emma sighed and turned back to her friend. "So? How are the wedding plans going?"

Sirius leaned back and grinned. "She won't let me give her a bash at Westminster, so we're probably going to do something small and local here in Oxford."

Cindy shrugged helplessly. "It's an unnecessary expense, Siri. Besides, the Vicar over at the University Church is a family friend and said he'd be happy to perform the service for us."

"St. Mary's?" Emma said delightedly. "You're getting married at St. Mary's?"

The University Church of St. Mary's the Virgin was one of the oldest churches in England and was said to be one of the most beautiful.

"That's what the lady wants, so that's what she'll get," Sirius said.

"So what else have you decided on?" Emma asked eagerly.

"Well, Siri took me up for a ride on Harry's broom," Cindy said.

"And she loved it. Said it was almost like a roller toaster," Sirius added.

"Roller coaster," Cindy corrected.

"Right. One of those, too," he said, nodding.

"So, anyway," Cindy continued excitedly, "we're going on a roller coaster honeymoon. Thirty-five coasters in forty-five days. We'll start on the east coast of the U.S. and work our way westward, around the world, hitting what are supposed to be the best coasters in the world."

Emma sighed and shook her head. "Only you, Cin. With all the romantic places you can go and the private beaches or mountain villas... No, you two have to pick roller coasters," she muttered.

"Hey, Disney World has room service," protested Cindy.

"Tell her about the mouse," prompted Sirius helpfully. He couldn't wait to meet Mickey, and Goofy.

She patted his hand. "She knows about the mouse, love." Turning back to her friend, she smiled. "Really, Emma, Sirius and I will be having plenty of moonlit walks and candlelit dinners. And if I know Sirius, we'll not climb out of bed until noon each day. The roller coasters are for the hour or two we get out of the hotel."

"Despite what Moony thinks, there'll be romance," Sirius added. "And lots of laughter. That's important."

Cindy nodded in agreement.

Emma smiled at them. In a way, their idea of a honeymoon was appropriate to the pair. "So when are you getting married then?"

"Harry has his last N.E.W.T. on the 3rd of June, so we were thinking that June 25th would be appropriate. That'll give us enough time to move back from Fiji. The real question is, do you mind Harry spending the summer with you? If not, I can arrange for Remus to stay with him at Grimmauld. Although, to be honest, after his birthday, he'll be of age and free to do what he wants," Sirius said. "Which, if I know Harry, probably means visiting Hermione everyday."

"We'd love to have him here," Emma replied promptly. "To be honest, we've been worried about the idea of him traveling around Scotland alone looking for that snake."

Sirius' expression turned somber. "I know, but he won't be alone all the time. Remus will be looking for clues, as well. We've told him that if he gets in trouble to either contact you and Dan or to find me and Remus. We'll all be here, unless it looks like Nagini has left the country."

Emma nodded. She wasn't very happy with the situation and planned to speak to Harry about it herself. She was worried that Hermione would spend more time worrying about him than she would studying for her own exams. And while she thought it was right for her to worry about him, he needed to understand that he needed to keep her worry to a minimum.


From the Journal of Hermione Jane Granger (Private Entry), Dec 19th 1996, Oxford, England...

Mum sent me to get Harry a day early. She was miffed when he didn't arrive with Sirius and Cindy, so I went to get him.

I found him in his room. Someone had bought, or transfigured, his chair into one of those high back comfortable office chairs. He was bent over several open text books and he was muttering something in Japanese. Above his desk was a pulsating light storm. I'm not sure what spell he was working on, but it sure looked pretty. And does he have any idea just how great he looks when he's working his magic?

Anyway, I watched him from his doorway and he seemed to be as nearly engrossed in his work as I get. I thought it would be a good idea to sneak up on him and surprise him, only he knew I was there. I should have realized that anyone living with Sirius Black would have warded their door to let them know when someone came through.

I snuck up to his chair and he quickly spun around and grabbed me in a hug. I was shocked and surprised, but after a few seconds I did what I was planning on doing in the first place and I hugged him back.

We didn't speak; no words were necessary. I think I finally understand what Harry meant about bookspace now. In that embrace I realized that there is a world of difference between bookspace and the real world. Oh, we can do a lot in bookspace and it feels real. But there is always the knowledge that bookspace isn't real sitting in the back of your mind.

He held me while still sitting on his chair, his head nestled between my breasts and despite that, it was an emotional moment, not a physical one. I felt safe and at peace in his arms. I felt like I was home and I knew that no matter where I was, if Harry was there, it was home. We didn't say a word, I didn't feel the need to speak and I don't think he did either. Somehow I could feel that he felt the same safety and peace that I felt.

It's funny. When Mum sent me over, knowing that Harry was alone at the beach house, I had anticipated being with him and maybe having the opportunity to explore outside of the limitations imposed by the journals. Instead, we ended up holding each other and having an emotional moment better than anything I could have dreamed of.

What is this power that Harry has over me and why does he affect me so deeply?

I used to read Mum's romance novels and laugh when authors talk about the depths of one's love, blah, blah, blah. How could I have been so wrong? I read those books and thought it wouldn't be possible for me to lose myself in someone, and here I am doing exactly that!

After that blissful embrace I helped him pack for the few days we'd be in England. Harry had spoken with Dad about the Christmas party and took his advice on what to wear for it. I haven't seen it, but I understand he purchased a new suit in Nadi, just for the party. He's got it in a garment bag that's been charmed to only allow him to open it.

I suppose I should explain that while I might be an only child, my father is not. He has three brothers and a sister, all married and all with kids of their own. My parents are the only ones to have stopped at just one child. Between my aunts, uncles and cousins, there will be over thirty people at this party. I'm trying not to worry about it, but I think most will be shocked when I bring Harry with us.

It's nearly midnight so I'm going to close this entry. Harry's asleep across the hall in the guest room and my parents are asleep in their own room. I peeked in on Harry earlier. I like watching him sleep. It's one of the few times when he lets his guard down and relaxes totally.

I can't help but wonder what it will be like to share that bed with him and sleep, safe within his arms. It's his fantasy and I think it's becoming mine, as well.

Someday soon I hope I get to learn that.


From the Journal of Harry Potter (Private Entry), Dec 20th 1996, Oxford, England...

It's six in the morning and I'm in England again. I've just finished my morning run and in a bit I'll start a nice breakfast for my hosts. Hermione came and got me early yesterday. I was supposed to arrive today, but plans changed.

Emma didn't like the idea of me being left alone at the beach house for a day. It's something Molly Weasley would have done, but Emma's doing it for different reasons. Molly would have assumed I couldn't take care of myself and needed her to help me. Emma said it was silly to be alone when they were waiting for me to arrive, and Hermione would enjoy my company.

I don't know if she's right, but I'll never skip the chance to be with Hermione.

She tried to sneak up on me yesterday and I think I surprised her. I spun around so fast in my chair and grabbed her in a hug. Merlin, it was heaven. All our time in bookspace cuddling and doing a little heavy petting vanished in a split second under the reality of that hug.

I've never felt so... peaceful and wanted as I did when she wrapped her arms around me. I wonder if she knows what kind of power she has over me? I'd do anything for her. Anything.

It's becoming very difficult, especially with her here in front of me, for me to keep to my promise of not letting us get too carried away. When I held her the other day and I could feel her heart beating and the soft rise and fall of her breasts while she breathed, it took every bit of self control I had. I think if she had made one move, just a tiny indication that she wanted more than to just hold me, I would have swept her into my arms and carried her to my bed.

Thankfully, we just held each other.

Later today we'll travel to London in preparation for this family party. We're spending the night at the Intercontinental Hotel just off Hyde Park. Dan and Emma have their room, Hermione has one and I have one. I offered to pay for mine, but Dan wouldn't hear of it. Still, it feels awkward. The Grangers are dentists and rather well off since they have very few NHS patients. I still feel like I should pay my way.

I think I managed to convince Dan to let me buy dinner tonight.

Tomorrow everyone is meeting at the hotel and they've rented a room to hold a catered party. Dan said between friends and family there will be at least fifty five people there.

Shoot me now. Fifty five people! I still haven't decided if I'm going as Harry or Evan, although Hermione and Emma want me to go as Harry. I probably will, since none of them are magical; they won't recognize me.

It's strange that she's the only witch. Usually, when you find one Muggle-born, there are others in the family. Since Emma's family is tiny and she has no brothers or sisters, I can't help but wonder if the magic came in from her side of the family.

I'll finish this up. Someday, Hermione and I will sit down and share these private entries with each other and laugh or cry over them. I think it will be good for us. If nothing else, I know my entries show what a mess I am.


The Granger Family Christmas Party, International Hotel, London, Dec 21st 1996...

Hermione was in seventh heaven. She leaned close to Harry, holding his hand and sipped her drink. She had just finished taking Harry around and introducing him to all the members of her family. He seemed to be the talk of the party.

She knew that she had surprised her family. Until today, most of them considered her to be the frumpish bookworm, but here she was showing off Harry, who had shown up for the party in an Armani suit. His hair was still a mess, but that was to be expected. It even added to his appeal, in her opinion. And the suit! She had pretty much grown up with Harry, but it wasn't until she saw him in the suit that she realized how broad his shoulders had become, and how finely built he was. She'd seen him in nothing but shorts, but for some reason, the suit seemed to emphasize his physique.

He stood next to her, like some Greek god, impossible in his perfection, and then the moment vanished when he slipped his hand into hers and he looked at her questioningly. She smiled up at him and counted herself blessed.

Her maternal grandmother eyed Harry as if he was a prize bull up for auction, then shot her daughter a thumbs up after talking with him for nearly an hour. Hermione blushed when she saw her mother nodding and grinning at her. Grandma Kensington was notoriously difficult to please and Harry had passed her tests with flying colors.

"Potter? Potter? I don't recall any Potters. Where did you say you're from?" asked her Uncle George.

Hermione frowned. She couldn't help but notice her cousin Frances eying Harry with interest.

"I was raised for a while in Surrey, but my guardians were proven unfit and I was returned to my Godfather. Originally, my family is from Wales," Harry replied smoothly. These were simple questions, not like the ones from the old lady who made him feel like she was reading his mind and questioning him about his relationship with Hermione.

"So, you're an orphan?" blurted Frances.

Hermione winced and tightened her grip on Harry's hand.

Harry smiled softly. "I might not have my original parents, but I do have parents. My Godfather and his fiancée, even Hermione's parents, to an extent."

"And you go to school with Hermione?" George asked, getting back into the conversation. "She never has much to say about that place."

"I used to attend the same school," Harry replied. "But don't blame Hermione. A number of the students are children of diplomats and high ranking members of government. They try to maintain a low profile to reduce their security problems. Academically, they're one of the finest schools in the country."

Hermione stared at Harry, surprised by his glib answer. It was a perfect explanation for why she couldn't talk about her school.

"That Hermione received an invitation to attend is a testimony to her intelligence. They take only the very best. Regretfully, when my problems at home came to light, I was withdrawn and now I attend home school."

"And where did you get that marvelous tan?" asked Frances.

Harry grinned and Hermione knew what was coming. "Fiji. I arrived here from Fiji two nights ago, but I spend most of the year living there."

Bored with the direction the conversation was turning, Uncle George excused himself, leaving the three teens to their talk.

Frances stepped forward, coming uncomfortably close to Harry. She, like Hermione, wore an expensive dress for the party. But unlike Hermione, her dress had a plunging neckline, exposing a very impressive cleavage. Hermione's dress was, in Harry's opinion, more interesting, because it showed a nice amount of cleavage without being glaringly obvious about it.

Harry took one step back. He didn't like people he didn't know invading his space.

"I must admit I never thought Hermione would bring a boy to one of these parties," Frances said. "Usually, she sits in a corner, reading a book."

Hermione flinched. She knew what was coming.

"In fact, I was beginning to think she might not even like boys, or perhaps she was too into her books," Frances said, plowing on, not understanding the simmering volcano she was creating.

Harry's expression darkened and his anger and magic flared. The overhead lights flickered ominously.

Frances stepped close to Harry and put her hand on his chest. "I'm sure she's interesting, but I'd be willing to bet I can show you a better time. Would you like to dance with me?"

Hermione sucked in a breath and glance at Harry. No one else in the room could sense the build-up of magic around him, but it was impossible to ignore the fire that lit his eyes.

"Thank you, but no," Harry said coldly. "Hermione is all I could ever want and, unlike others, she doesn't feel the need to cheapen herself by throwing herself at someone she doesn't even know."

Right then and there she wanted to throw her arms around him and kiss him senseless. Frances had been a thorn in her side most of her life and she half expected Harry would fall for her simpering attitude like many others had. Her cousin had learned the value of sex appeal early and wielded that weapon unmercifully. This was the first time she had ever run into a boy who didn't care about her charms.

Frances paled and gasped. She stepped back as if she had been slapped.

He tightened his grip slightly on Hermione. "Come on, love. Let's get some fresh air," he muttered, then pulled her with him towards the large doors and the open air balcony.

Behind them, Frances stared at the retreating couple in shock and surprise. She had always managed to pull one over on Hermione. Until tonight. It was unthinkable!

On the balcony, Harry released Hermione's hand and gripped the railing tightly. His anger was immense. He had managed to control it, but his magic was threatening to break free.

Hermione stood nearby, uncertain what she could do to help. She could feel the magic flowing off him and it was like nothing she had ever felt before. She stepped closer and placed her hand on his arm.

"Harry?"

"I'm sorry," he gasped. He was still struggling to contain his magic. Frantically he looked around for something to cast on, something innocuous. He looked down and spotted the crumpled napkin Hermione was holding and he plucked it out of her hand. His fist closed around it and he poured the magic into the crumpled paper.

She gasped, and felt the flow of magic from him change. She used her ring to cast an illusion on the door to prevent anyone from seeing the flare of light from his hand.

For nearly a minute he poured the magic into the paper, not really casting any specific spell. He was just trying to unload the excess. Finally, he stopped and took a shuddering breath, then sagged against the railing.

She gripped his elbow, supporting him. A moment later, Dan was standing next to him, helping Hermione hold him up.

Hermione blinked in surprise at her father. She didn't know he was on the balcony with them.

"I'll be all right. Just let me sit for a moment," Harry said softly.

"Do you two want to explain to me what just happened?" Dan asked quietly. Hermione recognized the tone. It was the "I'm the Dad and I want to know, NOW!" tone he took when he wanted an explanation.

"She was being rude and insulting," Harry replied, then he shrugged. "I got angry about it."

"Hermione was being rude?" asked Dan, a bit shocked.

"No, Dad. Frances was being rude," Hermione replied correcting him.

He frowned. He knew how much of a problem Frances had been for Hermione in the past. "She insulted Hermione?" he said, starting to get angry.

Hermione reached out and grabbed his hand, preventing him from leaving. "You don't have to worry about it, Daddy. Harry... Well, he put her in her place. Shocked her to pieces, really. I don't think she ever thought that anyone would defend me, or tell her they weren't interested. Harry did both, then we came out here because he was still very angry and that was driving his magic to a point where it was difficult to control."

Harry looked down at his hands. The napkin had turned rock hard in his fist. He hadn't opened it yet to look at it. He wasn't sure he wanted to know what it had become. All the talk of difficulty in controlling his magic was embarrassing.

Dan stood and placed a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder. "Thank you, son," he said softly. "I'll leave you with Hermione. She'll take care of you."

Dan had been raised to expect that a young man would be after one thing from his daughter and for a while he believed it of Harry, too. He had been slowly changing his mind about that idea over the past year. Now, he knew that Harry was after one thing; Hermione's heart. And he'd do anything to see that she was happy.

It was a humbling idea to think that Harry was different from even what he had been like as a teenager and a young man hoping to score with Emma. He had no doubt in his mind that Harry dreamed of such things, but they were secondary to his goal of having a good life, one that included Hermione by his side.

Dan walked back into the ballroom where the party was being held. Hermione watched her father for a moment before turning back to Harry. She glanced down at his hand and was shocked at what she saw.

"You're bleeding!" she gasped and grabbed his hand, then she pried open his fingers.

The napkin that he had crumpled and poured all that magic into had been transformed into a piece of pure red crystal. She gently pulled it from his hand and wrapped it in another napkin before dropping it into her purse, then she closed his cuts using her ring.

"I ruined your party, didn't I?" he asked, sounding miserable.

She looked at him and smiled, then she caressed his cheek. "Quite the opposite. Do you know how many years I've been hoping someone would put Frances in her place? It's funny, I can help you against dementors, escaped convicts, crazed cultists and malicious Professors, but I'm helpless against my own cousin."

Somewhere inside, a band started to play.

Harry stood and offered her his hand. "Would you like to dance, Miss Granger?"

She took his hand and smiled broadly. "I would love to, Mr. Potter."

Together they returned to the party and danced the next several hours, ignoring Frances, who sulked along the edges of the dance floor, watching them both with undisguised malice.


The International Hotel, London, Dec 22nd 1996...

Harry walked out of the shower and put on a fresh change of clothing. He had finished his run through Hyde Park and he needed the shower to warm up. It was cold outside and even his run did little to warm him.

He wasn't too upset about the cold. Later today they would take the portal back to Fiji where it would be a comfortable eighty degrees or more. After dressing, he packed away his clothing and went down to the lobby level where he'd wait for the Grangers to show up in the restaurant.

He sat at a table and rummaged through his pack, looking for something to read while he waited. He pulled out a copy of the Japanese language version of Newsweek Magazine to read, opening to an article about a super tanker than had run aground.

"Are you really reading or are you just looking at the pictures?" asked Dan with a sardonic grin.

"Watashi wa kankyou mondai ni totemo kanshin ga ari masu," Harry replied.

Dan frowned and Hermione grinned at him.

"What did you say?" asked Emma.

"I said I was interested in environmental issues," he replied, then he handed her the magazine, opened to the article detailing the ongoing efforts to clean up an oil spill in the Sea of Japan.

"Are you really, Harry?" asked Hermione.

He grinned. "Yeah, in a way. I can't pretend to understand it all, but my language tutor says that I can pick up a lot of the language by reading periodicals and newspapers. Besides, it was either read the magazine or pull out my Transfiguration textbook, which would really stand out in this place."

Hermione laughed and opened her menu. "That it would."

"After breakfast, we'll check out and head back to Oxford. We'll head to the beach house just in time to arrive for breakfast," Emma said. She loved the idea of being able to turn the days around so easily and use a potion to make up for the lost time. They were fortunate that the sleeping potions didn't require any internal magic to work.

Harry glanced over at Dan. "Are you sure I can't at least pay for my own room? These rooms aren't cheap."

"Hang onto your money, Harry. Besides, we invited you to the party, remember?"

He nodded, then sat back to enjoy his breakfast. Christmas was just around the corner and he couldn't wait.


Author's Notes:

First a note about some of the things we in fan fiction take for granted.

We've changed the behavior of some things that people tend to take for granted in fan fiction. Most notably we've changed the Cruciatus to be more damaging. That is a big change to things where most fan fictions are like, "Ow ow ow, take that you villian!"

The other thing we've changed is the concept of the portkeys which we envision to be this whirling spinning thing. That change will be highlighted in the next chapter in particular.

The use of name Alison Harrington was a coincidence and not meant to reflect in anyway on the Honor Harrington series.

"Do you really think they will believe that?" asked Alyx incredulously.

Bob shrugged. "If they want to keep reading our stuff they will."

"Oh, blackmail, I like it!"

No, Harry will not be teaching DADA at Hogwarts in Hermione's seventh year. Sorry.

McGonagall took a guess that Harry would be at the Grangers. She has Dumbledore's tracking gizmos and she had enough clues to take a stab at it and find him there.

Alright, there was a screwup in chapter one where we said Malfoy had been kissed. We've fixed that, he's in prison and hasn't been kissed. Sorry about that. Lucius wants to thank all his faithful supporters that pointed out the error to us. And he warns all the others to BOW DOWN BEFORE HIM YOU MUGGLES!!!

Sorry, got carried away there...

Noylj — Why should they move? They have their own private practice with few NHS patients. They are already set and unlike the wizards, have a nice democratic government running things.

Everyone — The reference to Emma dreaming about Dan, a whip and Marshmallows has no bearing on myself and Alyx. Anyone with a lick of sense would know that we'd use a riding crop and jelly donuts.

A word about the Weasleys. It is our intent to show the Weasleys as representative of the rest of British Wizarding society. While we will not actively bash any Weasley in this story, they will not always come out showing their best side. Ron in this chapter is shown maturing and coming back to a more likeable aspect, but as a whole, they have problems that are a result of their society and not a result of character flaws.

There is ONE more chapter of Harry and Hermione being far apart before Harry can return to Britain to begin the hunt for Nagini. Given the way this is running, we are looking at 8, maybe 9 chapters total for this story.

Thanks to every one who reviewed, and thanks to Keith and Dorothy for pointing out all doze errorz. We appprecate it!

  • Previous
  • Next